Steaming Up!

A3_'99_Tsport

Reaction score
I have a problem with my Audi T Sport (99) that I was hoping someone could help me with?!?

My car is steaming up really badly at the moment, especially after it's been raining. It has a digital climate control display and most of the time it won't let me put the air con on (the light comes on and goes out immediately).

I've even found dampness in my passenger footwell, does this have anything to do with it?

I had a look at my front windscreen and there doesn't appear to be any leaks or cracks. There is a small crack in plastic between the windscreen and the bonnet but nothing too major.

Please, if anyone could help resolve this problem I would be incredibly thankful.

Cheers.

best bet is to get someone outside with a hose so you can sit inside and check for leaks! air con could need re gassing or could be a fault, there was someone last week with a similar aircon fault but you'd have to check the threads to find that!

Does it smell funny in the car at all? I had a similar issue on my A4 and it was the heater matrix leaking. Had to take the whole dash out the change it... glad I didn't pay Audi for that ;P

The smell was the antifreeze and its not very good for you at all!!!

Bear in mind that aircon doesn't actually work when the frost warning (5 degrees or lower) is on...

Get someone with VAGCOM to check for faults to see if there is a deeper issue and like kaizokuninja said it could be it needs re-gassing.

Water in the footwell is also a sign that the pollen filter cover in the scuttle pan isnt fitted correctly IIRC.

Yep, another vote for pollen filter cover - it's on the scuttle panel above the glovebox and if not fitted properly will mean that water leaks in behind the glovebox.

It's under the passenger wiper scuttle next to the front wing.
You also have an aircon problem which is why you are steaming up and the snowflake keeps switching off. Do a search there's plenty of threads on AC pump clutch failure.

Yep all good posts above, But one more suggestion ive had on VW's is water leaking in through the rear lights, Causing damp throughout the car.

But most likely leaking in through the pollen filter.