Why bother with an S3

AndyS3

Reaction score
Lo

Ok ive been reading everyones posts reguarding uprating there brakes, suspension and power on the S3 why bother if the car isnt what we want, why do you not save your money and get a car that comes with all these things as standard?

Considering to own a S3 it probably cost approx 20k - 25k plus all the modifications cost another 5k and you can get a good Porsche C2 for 30k - 35k which will be a far better car than a Modifiyed S3 ever will be?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Probably because its fun to tinker with a car to see if you can do better than the manufacturer.

You can buy a lot of cars for £30K but many like the Porsche will cost a lot more to keep on the road (maintenance, insurance, fuel consumption etc).

if s3's are not expensive enough compared to all the other hot hatche's, rs focus, honda type r, seat leon etc which are just as fast. does become pricey, when you can get a second hand s4 which phisses over an s3. quiet happy with mine as it, must admit they are pure class compared to the other hatches though.

[ QUOTE ]
AndyS3 said:
Lo

Ok ive been reading everyones posts reguarding uprating there brakes, suspension and power on the S3 why bother if the car isnt what we want, why do you not save your money and get a car that comes with all these things as standard?

Considering to own a S3 it probably cost approx 20k - 25k plus all the modifications cost another 5k and you can get a good Porsche C2 for 30k - 35k which will be a far better car than a Modifiyed S3 ever will be?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Becasue for me,and others i guess, i wouldnt buy a car and NOT play with it. Thats just no fun! Its great making a car how YOU want it, and the power, handling .etc that suites you. Thats how it is for me anyway

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

it was the cheapest insurance per performance & quality I could buy - and it had to be new!

New boxster with roof is on the shopping list for 2005!

When you're looking for a new car there really isnt that much choice, unless your perpared to sacrifice on quality and reliability (ie. not german!)

I agree with Rich. Put it this way :

Buy a porsche, get in it day to day, yeah it will make you smile.
Buy an S3, Chip it, lower it, bigger wheels, nice exhaust etc, damn sure it will make you grin a hell of a lot more than a porsche will. The satisfaction of getting in a car that you have modified that performs well, looks great far outweighs that of going to a pub and showing off that you own a porsche

[ QUOTE ]
Stuart_A3_Turbo said:
Buy a porsche, get in it day to day, yeah it will make you smile.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn right it will. I've never driven anything like it in my life...
It doesn't just make you smile...it re-defines your perception of car ownership.

Some cars take your breath before you even start them up.

some cars make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up when you start them.

Some cars leave you struggling for words after a decent blast in them, they leave you shaking and speechless...they make you want to get up early and go for a drive. For some reason, an Audi has never done that to me.

A car that can evoke reactions like that from a normally relatively stable person, will do more than make you smile. It can make you feel very special indeed.

[ QUOTE ]

Buy an S3, Chip it, lower it, bigger wheels, nice exhaust etc, damn sure it will make you grin a hell of a lot more than a porsche will.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, bit I wholeheartedly dissdagree.
I think this sort of comment would only come from someone who's never actually been and driven a decent Porsche.

I've done all of the above to my S3...and I'm still left feeling that there's something lacking. A certain something. Can't quite put my finger on it.

All I have to do is drive past the dealer where the nice man holds the keys to all the 911s and my heart beat raises!

[ QUOTE ]

The satisfaction of getting in a car that you have modified that performs well, looks great far outweighs that of going to a pub and showing off that you own a porsche

[/ QUOTE ]

If that's what you are about...stroll on!

If hovewer, you want to REALLY drive a car and get any form of meaningfull feedback from it, you'll find that driving a decent Porsche will give you WAY more than any chipped-up S3 ever can.

Some people actually buy cars like Porsches because they offer the best driving experience money can buy...maybe one day, if you are lucky, you'll drive one, experience that feeling...and spend the rest of your life trying to work out how in hell you are going to afford one - just like the rest of us who've made the mistake of driving one!

I really wish I'd never driven one...

Nothing - and in my opinion, I mean NOTHING, compares.

How much do kidneys go for on the black market nowadays, anyway? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Lees3 said:
£80,000- 120,000 on ebay - do an international search..

[/ QUOTE ]

Blindin'...GT3 RS here I come!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:
[ QUOTE ]
Lees3 said:
£80,000- 120,000 on ebay - do an international search..

[/ QUOTE ]

Blindin'...GT3 RS here I come!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahaha exactly what I was thinking.

With a £30k Porsche, would you not buy it, love it, drive it for a bit, then think "i can either chip this and put some 19" BBS on OR buy a better one?" and the cycle would start again?

You'd be on your www.Porsche-sport.com message board, and someone would be asking "why modify a 911? why not just buy a Lamborghini?"

Here's what i want http://www.gmundcars.com/sales/stock/171103/911CARRERARS27/911carrera27.htm

Would be well happy. Need £65k first tho.

web3.jpg

Why bother with this thread. Obviously you have an opinion on people who buy and modify S3's.

If you have the money invest in a Porsche.

[ QUOTE ]
bampy said:
Why bother with this thread. Obviously you have an opinion on people who buy and modify S3's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who is that aimed at?

Surely an open debate offers up many different perspectives which make for interesting reading...not everyone thinks the same way / wants the same things.
Surely, that's a reason to 'bother' with the thread?

it just makes me smile n giggle everytime i have new parts sitting downstairs (i htink i should take a pic today, i have at least 4 boxes sitting there ready for wednesday)

it definately doesn't provide me the thrill i will get out of a porsche (or the "yeh i m the man" feeling), but it does give me satisfaction that i choose my own parts to slap on, n the feeling of it being installed and ready for a test drive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Cyuen,

hut the nail on the head. I too have parts sitting waiting to be fitted and every time I drop the car off, I can't wait to get back in it to see what difference its made. Ok, yes I have been disapointed in the past, but this is all part of the learning curve.

Buying and modding a car, is something I've always loved. Knowing that you can 't just go into a showroom and buy one 'off the shelf' makes me feel that I havbe something special.

One day I hope to own something like a porsche, when I'm older. But not now.

When I have finished with my S3, I aim to be able to sit behind a 911, and make the driver wonder "why is this little Audi still there??" I've already done it to a Boxter 'S and that feeling, is something you will never get form an 'off the self' sports car like a Porsche.

Next...

[ QUOTE ]
ScotSTHREE said:

When I have finished with my S3, I aim to be able to sit behind a 911, and make the driver wonder "why is this little Audi still there??" I've already done it to a Boxter 'S and that feeling, is something you will never get form an 'off the self' sports car like a Porsche.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah...i guess you'll make it one day...against a 20 year old 911.

I think you need to drive a few 911's!

There is NO WAY an S3 will stick with a decent 911 on twisty roads, regardless of the state of tune.
You can give an S3 450BHP and a 911 of lesser performance will walk away from you. It's down to simple fundamentals...the 911 is a no-compromise car. You either pay the price for the best Porsche can offer, or buy something cheaper...you simply CANNOT modify an S3 to even get close given the fact that the drivers are equal.

Audis are 'boring' cars to drive. They may be fast, they may corner well, and they may pinch the brakes off a 911...but you simply do not get the feedback from the chassis - principally because the chassis was designed as a 1.6 A3! The 911 was not.

I have developed the chassis on my S3 over 3 years and have, to my mind, the best set up imaginable on a road going S3....I also know my car very well, and can drive it. But I'm telling you that a 911 is in a completely different league.
I love my S3 to bits - imperfect thought it may be - but I'm still able to acknowledge that a decent 911 is something a bit special and WAY beyond what the S3 could EVER be.

Take a 12 year old 964 shape 911..that'll go off the clock at over 170MPH. Even today that's ****** fast.
Even with only 270BHP it 'humps' an S3 on acceleration...
Supposing you get 400+ out of your S3, what's the limit for the aerodynamics? 160MPH? 165MPH? I'm talking about real MPH, not clock indicated MPH. You haven't got a chance...it's simple physics.

Even on the twisty stuff a 911 walks it...even a 12 year old 964 has a chassis created by God himself...it seems to take corners by though process alone. Something Audi have NEVER achievd in any of their cars - modified or not!

I'm mystified by some of the comments...
I feel a tuned S3 is a perfect car under most circumatances, and I'd put mine against any other on here for all round ability...but I'm also able to comment on the fact that it'll never be 911 capable no matter what you do to it.
The 911 isn't an icon for no reason. It's an icon because it's a mindblowingly focused sportscar that's built to re-define your perception of a cars limits. Having been lucky enough to have driven a few, in my opinion it does that...and more. Much more.

It is the purest drivers car I have ever had the pleasure to drive.
The S3 in not.

Interesting post Ess_three
Do you think there is no better than a Porsche in terms of pure feed back and performance?
What do you think about Caterhams? on the same aspects of course

i would say the F360 Modena Challenge is darn good as well its very track biased

GT3 of coz is one of hte best

won't rule out the Murcielago or the Gallardo

Its been enlightening to hear your comments Glen.

Having only driven a boxster s, my experience of porsche was nonetheless mind blowing. Also as far as handling goes, its reckoned that the mid engine setup of the boxster, can give it an edge over the rear engined 911s. All I know is that on every corner you couldn't unsettle it, and you could constantly feel the grip of those huge rear tyres.

Living with a car like that must teach you something different everyday and even as a first quick blast, I was able to post some extremely fast a to b times.

I was kinda hoping that the S3 might get somewhere like that in performance terms.. But having since chipped it, and messed around with the suspension the reality is slowing dawning on me.

But hey, thats not what the S3 is about, like you say its a luxury compromise, which we've tried to extract the most from. Anyway I still say that in its original form it was the only car for me at the time of purchase.

Have to say, this is one of the best posts I have taken part in for a while.

I see what you mean Glen, but when do we ever have the chance to rattle down the motorway at 160/170mph??

I suppose, I really can't comment on comparison as the only Porsche I have driven was a J reg 944 S2, which I can say was surprizingly pleasant but none the less not very exciting (although the 3.0 Turbo might be!).

At the moment I'm happy with the level of enjoyment I get from the car I have together with how practical it is being a 3dr hatch, which I suppose is the type of cars we need to be compairing it against, not sports cars which have been designed from the ground up to be what they are.

Just one last comment, were some people not buying the boxter 'S rather than a entry level (if you can call it that) 911 because they performed better?

[ QUOTE ]
StephV6 said: So did I. The elise with the roof on is far worse

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh-heh! I know what you mean.
Before the S3 I drove one...asked the bloke for a test drive....his retort was: "sure, if I can stand and watch you getting in and out...I'll wet myself laughing"
He wasn't joking!

[ QUOTE ]
RS6 maybe? but 911 with 2 or more and luggage seems difficult?

[/ QUOTE ]

RS6 is FAR too big for me.
I'd like something chuckable...and as RS6 could never be described as'chuckable'

You'll get two full sized adults in the front of a 911, and a mini-me of about 8 in the back no problem.
Storage in the front and behind the rear seats could hold weekend bags no problem...probably pushing it at a weeks luggage...but you could get by. Travel light!

It's not exactly practical family transport though...

[ QUOTE ]
I actually have never driven a Porsche but you make me want to now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

DON'T!!
If you do, you will be eternally doomed to be dissatisfied with your car. You WILL be unhappy and convince yourself that the only way for you to face the next 10 years is to beg / borrow / steal enough to get one. It's not pretty.
A 911 specifically is an evil car...it'll turn a normally rational man into a salivating, in cohesive fool. Not recommended.

If however, you are a true car fanatic who has pertol running through his veins, you need to blag a test drive. Do whatever you can.

Then convince yourself that one day you will win the Lottery, and will be able to buy and run one!

You have been warned! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ha, ah! Like it. Anyway guys, stop dreaming and get on with something a little more sensible. Like planning which local post office you are going to rob to by one of these 911's ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

RS6 is FAR too big for me.
I'd like something chuckable...and as RS6 could never be described as'chuckable'

You'll get two full sized adults in the front of a 911, and a mini-me of about 8 in the back no problem.
Storage in the front and behind the rear seats could hold weekend bags no problem...probably pushing it at a weeks luggage...but you could get by. Travel light!

It's not exactly practical family transport though...

[ QUOTE ]
I actually have never driven a Porsche but you make me want to now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

DON'T!!
If you do, you will be eternally doomed to be dissatisfied with your car. You WILL be unhappy and convince yourself that the only way for you to face the next 10 years is to beg / borrow / steal enough to get one. It's not pretty.
A 911 specifically is an evil car...it'll turn a normally rational man into a salivating, in cohesive fool. Not recommended.

If however, you are a true car fanatic who has pertol running through his veins, you need to blag a test drive. Do whatever you can.

Then convince yourself that one day you will win the Lottery, and will be able to buy and run one!

You have been warned! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

My father was a garagist and drove some rally cars so have been raised around grease and motor's parts but I would not call myself a petrolhead as I don't know much about things that really change the reaction of cars. Don't even understand half of what is said on these posts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
However I now know that going quick is much more than the car
And I am willing to take the risk of driving a 911 now even being warned /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ScotSTHREE said:
Ha, ah! Like it. Anyway guys, stop dreaming and get on with something a little more sensible. Like planning which local post office you are going to rob to by one of these 911's ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

BOOO!
Spoilsport...
Just when my daydream about actually owning one seems like reality...along comes some ****** to burst my bubble!

PS, got any Post Offices in mind?

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend driving anything loads nicer/faster then your current car! You will just be gutted when you go back in yours. I have a mate with a 520bhp/560lbs torque Impreza STI, but whats the point in driving that! It will be a while if ever I will be able to afford a car that quick!

[ QUOTE ]
MattT said:
Yeah, I wouldn't recommend driving anything loads nicer/faster then your current car! You will just be gutted when you go back in yours.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that feeling! Oh well... not long now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I have a mate with a 520bhp/560lbs torque Impreza STI, but whats the point in driving that!

[/ QUOTE ]

Cos it would be really fun! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yeah, but my car would feel so slow then, and I haven't got 40k to spend on getting a car that fast! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
MattT said:
Yeah, but my car would feel so slow then, and I haven't got 40k to spend on getting a car that fast! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

very true!

Glen,

Slight change of subject but do you know when the next Scottish meet is??

Only been to one which was pretty good. Only one complaint, everyone was driving like my Gran. (And she drives a 1.4 Corsa Auto!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

Im with you on this one Andy. Have been offered a really nice 51 plate Boxter S with full options. Really want to sell mine think i should have a change after owning two S3's.

[ QUOTE ]
dbm said:
Just out of interest, have you ever driven an M3? Do they compare at all?

[/ QUOTE ]

I nearly bought an E46 M3 about a year and a half ago...a great car to drive and to look at.

The stigma attached to BMW does bother me..but I could live with it...the car was a cracking car to drive, and much more practical than a 911...but the dealerships (the ones I dealt with were awful). BMW themselves dindn't even have the decency to send me some more information (brochure and the like) after their dealers had run out!

In the end, I decided it wasn't special enough to make me swap my S3 for, especially with the attutude of some of their dealers.

I would still have a greay one though..with a red leather interior!!

[ QUOTE ]

Also, would you have a RWD or AWD Porche is you won the big one?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, there's a question...

I guess as a toy, it'd be a GT3 RS if it was a BIG win...
Or a GT3 series 2 if it was a smaller win...

If I had the ability to buy with only a meagre win, or after a big pay rise, it'd be a C4S.

I guess the reasoning is that the 4wd would make it practical enough to use everyday where I live...I think I'd only seriously consider a RWD if it was a toy. And that WOULD mean a lottery win.

[ QUOTE ]

If I scrimped and saved I could buy a decent second hand example of either of these in a year or two, but I'm not convinced either would be a good enough all round choice to replace my (now highly modified) S3.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could live with a C4S everyday...but it wouldn't be as usable as the tweaked S3.

I would like to be in the position to have to live with a GT3 every day.

Hell, I'd like to be in the position to live with ANY 911 every day...4WD or RWD...I'd put up with it!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:
I nearly bought an E46 M3 about a year and a half ago...a great car to drive and to look at.

The stigma attached to BMW does bother me..but I could live with it...the car was a cracking car to drive, and much more practical than a 911...

[/ QUOTE ]

This sums up my feelings (without risking the test drives). The M3 must be an awesome car to get the reviews it does, but the bad rep and the fact that it would be too high profile to park in some places is an issue to me. Also, I am a big fan of AWD and I know I would miss it.

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:
[ QUOTE ]

Also, would you have a RWD or AWD Porche is you won the big one?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, there's a question...

I guess as a toy, it'd be a GT3 RS if it was a BIG win...
Or a GT3 series 2 if it was a smaller win...

If I had the ability to buy with only a meagre win, or after a big pay rise, it'd be a C4S.

I guess the reasoning is that the 4wd would make it practical enough to use everyday where I live...I think I'd only seriously consider a RWD if it was a toy. And that WOULD mean a lottery win.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, pretty much my feelings /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:
I could live with a C4S everyday...but it wouldn't be as usable as the tweaked S3.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's good to hear from a man who has done where angels fear to tred /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The final factor for me is I'm an IT consultant and need to be able to park my car up on site or in a hotel car park and know that it won't attract every thief or vandal in a 5-mile radius. S3's come with stealth fitted as standard in my experience /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cheers,
Dan

[ QUOTE ]
dbm said:

That's good to hear from a man who has done where angels fear to tred /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh-heh! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush2.gif

[ QUOTE ]

The final factor for me is I'm an IT consultant and need to be able to park my car up on site or in a hotel car park and know that it won't attract every thief or vandal in a 5-mile radius. S3's come with stealth fitted as standard in my experience /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a very valid point Dan...
I have left my S3 in car parks of hotels in Glasgow when I've been down for concerts, and in hotel car parks in Manchester when I've been down for the footy. I'm not suggesting that either are bad areas...but coming from someone who lives in an area with the least amount of car crime in the UK...it's still a concern.
The S3 is stealthy and to untrained eyes, goes pretty un-noticed. Always a good point.

A financial advisor friend of mine drives an Audi...and he reckons that the Audi 'S' models are perfect...as he put's it:
Drive a Porsche and the client thinks you are making too much money on them.
Drive a Merc and they still think you are making too much money, but are trying to hide it.
Drive a fancy BMW and they think you'r a pretentious tw*t.
Drive an Audi and you are sensible.
Go figure. But I guess there's some truth in it.

[ QUOTE ]
The final factor for me is I'm an IT consultant and need to be able to park my car up on site or in a hotel car park and know that it won't attract every thief or vandal in a 5-mile radius. S3's come with stealth fitted as standard in my experience

[/ QUOTE ]
Same problem!

[ QUOTE ]
Drive a Porsche and the client thinks you are making too much money on them.
Drive a Merc and they still think you are making too much money, but are trying to hide it.
Drive a fancy BMW and they think you'r a pretentious tw*t.
Drive an Audi and you are sensible.

[/ QUOTE ]
Spot on!

Plus, a hatch is useful/practical! Try getting a xmas tree in a TT or a Porsche, then you'd look a right t*t!

Off topics slighty, but it was mentioned. I can't make the last weekend in July for a meet. Week after or week before /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Glen, sounds like your well smitten. Have to admit, if I had the cash to spare, I think a 911 would my choice. Not going to take a test drive though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif