Self Service or Dealer/Garage Service

d4mo

Reaction score
Guys,

I recently bought my 2.8Q Avant and its on 110,000miles with Audi dealer service stamps up to 86,000 miles. After a quick call to the dealer to confirm this they have told me that they also carried out an annual service at 93,000 but the book wasnt available to stamp. The guy I bought the car from told me that they had a mobile mechanic service the car about 4000 miles ago but they didnt have a receipt or any proof of this.

So....I want to get a service done covering Oil + Filter, Air Filter, Pollen Filter, Fuel Filter, Spark Plugs, Brake Fluid and coolant change.
I am planning on keeping the car for at least 3 - 4 years all being well and will be getting an lpg conversion at some point as I am using this car for a lot of work mileage.

I just cant decide if I should do this all myself to keep the cost down or take it to my local garage and pay £250ish to get the work done and a stamp in the book. What would everyone recommend? Is it going to be worth getting the stamps in the book, bearing in mind that if i get rid of the car in 3 years time it will be well over 200k by then.

I wouldn't bother with the stamps if you are going to keep it and plough into some serious miles. You won't see a return in the resale and everything you mention is simple enough and at least you will know it will be done properly.

yes totaly agree once you have bought all your parts you will still leave about 150.00 quid in your pocket and you know it as been done right just keep a detailed record of whats been done and keep the receipts for all the parts i have always done this and never had any trouble when it comes to selling it

have to agree, with the exception of brake fluid change everything is simple
and your car will be worthless in 4 years, just checked parkers guide for price on my 1.8t quattro £1700!!!

the brake fluid change is a doddle with an assistant pressing the pedal opening and closing a bleed nipple and keep the fluid reservoir topped up 10 mins a corner

yer just do it yourself. Saves you money, and gives you useful experience of working on your car too.

For a brake fluid change i would use an eezibleed or similar, although you would have to drain the master cylinder resovoir of the old fluid first. If your careful, you can remove the master cylinder resovoir from the car, empty it, and refit it, without introducing any air into the system, then just refill with fresh fluid, and bleed with the eezibleed, until you've run the old fluid out of the lines.

Thanks very much for all your replies, im glad you all pretty much said what I was already thinking.

Im no stranger to doing my own servicing, just never done a V6 or an audi, usually my old classics, a diesel 306 and a couple fo old bangers. I'm sure I still have an eezibleed kit hidden amongst all my tools so that should make the job a bit easier for myself.

So im now off to sort out a shopping list of parts, any comments on the following? Is it going to be ok getting this lot from a motor factors or should I be looking at getting some from the dealer?:

Spark plugs (Bosch, NGK or Champion?)
Fuel Filter
Oil Filter
Air Filter
Pollen Filter
5-40w Synthetic Oil (to comply with the VW standards in the owners manual)
Dot 5.1 or 4 Brake fluid
Coolant (already got some Halfords red coolant unused from my last car)

Is there anything ive missed and should consider doing whilst im at it?

I think I might still have a can of Wynns engine flush around somewhere ready for the service on my last car.

What sort of injector cleaner would be recommended? I've still got some Redex that you add to the petrol from my missus old car.