Fitting Cruise Control, First problem!

aragorn

"Stick a V8 in it!"
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
So i decided to make an attempt at installing the cruise control to the A4 today, but didnt get all that far!

I managed to install the Stalk, and the wiring tail for it, which went ok, however i then ran into a problem with the clutch and brake pedal switches.

The switches are supposed to screw into the pedal box, one sits in the spare hole below the brake switch, and the other sits in a hole over the clutch pedal. The problem is that these holes seem to be missing some kind of insert. The existing brake light switch has a nut on it, and is held inplace nice and firmly, but the cruise switches just flop around, the holes arent threaded so theres nothing to hold the switch in place, although it looks like its machined to take something...

Does anyone know if there is some kinda insert which presses into the pedal box to secure these switches? I didnt want to remove the brake light switch to see what was going on, but perhaps someone has had the brake light switch out before and knows what it looks like?

I'd say that's likely to be superceeded (sp?).

431 is C2 Audi 200, 1981 - 1983.

aye looks like it, your PN is listed on the cruise page too, just found it there.

I'll give the dealer a call tomorrow and see if they happen to have a pair of them in stock, be tight if i manage to get this installed before the weekend now :(

I'll be fitting cruise to mine too - just picked up a complete, driving UrS4 (2,2 20V turbo I5).

I'm breaking her, and she has cruise, so i'll be robbing the ECU and vacuum pump. The rest of the bits will have to come off an A8 3,7 / 4,2 32V. The stalks may be usable, though I doubt it.

me too, seen all the individual parts for sale on ebay but never seen a wiring harness, did you make one or find it in a breaker?

gonna knock it up myself, seems pretty streight forwards.

I'll do a write up once i manage to get it all together properly.

Phoned the local dealer, they're going to try and get them in for wednesday. I have a half day on wednesday, so if things go to plan i'll be able to pick them up after work and get stuck in!

I just need to order up some vacuum hose now.

I hate cruise control. never liked it
Good effort for attempting a retro fit though

I use CC a lot for long journeys and I still feel fresh at the end of a 5 hour drive. But it works best during less traffic or off peak times.

Had mine retrofitted by Fontain.

Is your car a TDI or DBW Petrol Razor?

I've seen plenty companies around offering the retrofit kits for DBW cars, however i;ve never seen any offer a retro on the mechanical/vacuum system used on the DBC cars...

I have a 99.5 2.4 V6 petrol with DBW (just put the signature back on).

Any luck searching the forum? Or just ring up Fontain to get info. I remember they did cruise control as a popular mod for switching between stock and chipped modes (APR).

I've got all the info i need to do it mate, the system is pretty simple and i have the wiring diagrams from elsawin. I've just never seen any commercial folks offering the retrofit on DBC cars.

Any updates, Aragorn?

Is it all fitted and working yet?

Fitted, but not working.

First attempt i'd totally stuffed the wiring. Fixed all that and the right things are in the right places now, but nothing happens when i press the button.

I'm thinking either the speed signal i've used isnt right (i took it from behind the stereo) or theres something up with the ECU i've got. Just not had a chance to actually see whats up with it.

I'll need to have a drive with the ECU out, and see if its turning the pump feed on correctly. I suspect it isnt, but that doesnt really help me narrow it down, as the pump feed only turns on over 20mph, and if the ecu or speed signal was faulty it would show the same symptoms!

Perhaps i need to try a loan of another ECU, but i dont know anyone local that has one i can try.

i have a spare one but it has a big turbo map on it. any use?

ah, don;t have one of those, sorry