following my thread, a3, golf gti, r32 etc. i don't think the a3 is for me

p1tse

Reaction score
i was contemplating about a 2.0T and 3.2v6 a3 and i don't think it's for me, having tested an a3 2.0 tdi sport back.

it was OK all round, but the steering was very light, but i was impressed with the 2.0tdi, but didn't find it all that comfy driving, or in the passenger seat front and back (think i was expecting more). don't get me wrong it's a nice car, but wasn't to my expectation.

i was expecting more room in the back and easier access etc. i'm sure i was more impressed with the rear space in the golf gti (without taking much notice when i got a lift).

so now turning attentions to the golf 2.0T, r32 or throw something else in the mix a4 saloon or avant!

i see the a4, comes in quattro too, so with the 2.0T with a remap it shouldn't be too bad.

From an outsiders perspective it seems that you dont really know what you want?

The A3 2.0tdi sport back is a completly different best to an R32. You cant really make a comparison.

Are you after a comfy roomey car or a hot hatch? I dont really think a 2.0tdi sport back is either tbh.

You`ve done the right thing giving them a go. Changing cars aint cheap so its worth getting something you are happy to stick with for a while.

Have to agree with APL though, the A4 Avant/R32 are are VERY different so its difficult to draw compariosons other than the obvious.

FYI and from experience, the rear passenger space in a 3dr Golf is the same as a 3dr A3.

Good luck
Paul

I think what you need to do is draw up a short list of pre-requisite measures that you need to be able to tick off.

Consider things like:

1) Budget (What's your max budget - set and stick to it)
2) Saloon / hatch or estate? Future proofing (what can do to ensure the car will best fit any future life changes - kids / job / load lugging etc..)
3) Residuals (Yes / No answer here - does it matter to you what it is worth in 3 years?)
4) Gearbox type (Manual / auto or tiptronic depending on the roads you drive)
5) Fuel type? (Petrol if you don't care about cost per mile / range and you like to rev, and diesel if you do care about cost per mile / range and you prefer torque on tap)
6) New or second hand? If you buy second hand you are at the mercy of whats on the market rather than speccing from new. However you may be able to secure a far more extensive options pack getting a nearly new.

If your still struggling after that then draw up a matrix and score each critical point. It's a bit sad, but when you get to the point you just can't decide, sometimes its a good way to choose with your head (not your heart).

Conversely go out and drive lots of cars in your sector. Hopefully one of them should grab you heart (as driving shouldn't be all about getting from A-B, but actually enjoying it too). If they tick the other boxes then its a no brainer!!!

thanks for the comments

from an outsider my ways of thinking must be mad.
here's a bit of background, i had an audi tt 225 coupe, now sold and the wife has a ford ka.

ultimately i would like a fun but practical car (5 doors), and later on swap the wife car for something even more practical.

the choice of cars tries to fit what i want.

ideally a mk5 r32 appeals, but need to test it. i did think of the a3 3.2v6, but having driven, passenger in front and back of a a3 sportback (albeit a 2.0 tdi), the size, space, doesn't appeal.

i know the golf isn't much different, but i feel the golf back seats don't sit as high or as low a roof line as the a3 sportback. the golf gti or r32 would be a compromise on space, and could make it work, like an a3.

however if i can't find the right r32, i thought about the gti mk5. but then it brings me to the a4 saloon/ avant as it comes with the 2.0T, so straight line won't be too much different to the gti and would probably keep this and the ka for a bit longer, as it would have the space required.

but yeah as it's alot of money, even used prices and current climate want to make sure i get at least one car which has a bit of fun and practical in a sense.

for the wife car, i even had a go in an astra 55 plate 1.8 auto estate. it was quite good to be fair.

Im currently driving a 5 door Mk5 Golf 2.0 TDI (courtesy car) and i really don't like it...
the engine is very powerful and having the Torque on tap is excellent but the front seats are so uncomfortable! my friends have said that the rear is spacey but overall i would easily choose the A3 over the golf, thats why im in the process of buying the 2.0 TDI A3, plus the A3 looks better and more classy than the average golf.

but it is really what you prefer, as i have a few friends that like the golf over the A3.

as for the A4... well thats a different league... i mean same engine yes but much bigger car... I was in the same mind when i was looking at the A3 but i really dont need such a big car as im not planning on having kids for another couple years so i can do with an A3 for now then change in 3 years time for something bigger.

i found the golf mk4 short on space compared to the mk5

if i was choosing a tdi version, yes the a3 looks alot better than the golf equivalent

however even though the GTI blends in, it's still alittle different, but nothing really that appealing (which is a shame, as that's one reason i'm not drawn to it, as no wow factor)

I went out with my mate in his Golf G-TDI yesterday. Maybe you don't think the A3 justifies it's price and that's fair enough, it's all subjective really. But when i got back into my A3 it just felt a totally different class of car to be honest.

I used to work with 2 guys, one had a Golf GTI and another had a Seat Leon FR so it was great for making quick comparisons. The progression in price compared to quality is really obvious when you have the opportunity to compare them side by side. The Seat felt like a very harsh plasticky car. Cheap and cheerful but still nice for the price. The Golf is a step up again in cabin quality and design features and the A3 is again a big jump up from the Golf.

I would argue that the Golf offers the best all round value. Nice cabin, great drive, good image and you might sleep easier at night knowing what you paid for it. No point buying an A3 if you question it's value for money. Personally i wouldn't swap it for any similar sized car.

It's not that easy choosing a car is it....

I'm now a member of about 15 different owners forums lol...

I'm currently driving a 07 Type R.... handing the keys back in May and I just can't make my mind up.

I was set on the S3... actually came close to buying a A3 2.0FSI when I was shopping last time around but with rumours of the S3 coming soon I held off.... Well the S3 is here and I've driven it.... kinda let down a little bit.

Compared to my current car it's much quicker, build quality out of this world, grip ridiculous and so forth but I honestly felt it was lacking a bit in the fun department compared to what I'm in now.

So I've been in the R32, 135I, TTS, A4 S-Line (LOL), MK5 GTI + Edition 30.... the list goes on.

Still I'm drawn to the S3... Yes it doesn't have as much feel and driver feedback as my current car but in terms of performance, quality, everything it's several classes above.

So I'm looking around for lease deals. Best I've found is £450~ including vat. Not too bad but £150 more than I could pickup another Type R for lol...

My mind says get the S3... awesome car despite the slightly boring engine and steering feel.... my heart says don't be silly get the Type R and put up with the bone jarring ride.

There are no ticklists or checkboxes that will help me.....

Try a remapped S3 if havnt already the £500 or so is well well spent and transforms the car again i know its extra cost but i am sure it will out weigh the type-R altogether then mate

it's a cost factor as well

i just don't want to end up getting a car for A-to-B, i want a little fun side of things too

if i had £450 spare i would probably payoff the mortgage quicker or get a bigger house to be honest.

it's a cost factor as well

i just don't want to end up getting a car for A-to-B, i want a little fun side of things too

if i had £450 spare i would probably payoff the mortgage quicker or get a bigger house to be honest.

Of those cars you have mentioned the GTI is probably the most "fun" and a very capable every day car. Remapped to 240-250bhp and it's rather nice. Interior build quality is lacking compared to the A3 but the suspension and steering are much improved.

The R32 is just far too heavy and disconnected from the road. Engine sounds sublime though but boot it and you won't see see much more than 10mpg!

And forget the A4.... no fun to be had in that unless you enjoy playing the family man and transporting kids and doing the shopping lol.

have just come from a remapped turbo'd Audi petrol, so wanted the feel and sound of the V6, for a change. i'm thinking probably won't do much more than 8k a year, as will look to get something for the other half which is more economical.

another thought on the gti mk5, is that i can see prices going being hit harder when the mk6 floods the market and wouldn't like a basic spec gti for that reason.

but thanks, it's making me thinking in different ways.

have just come from a remapped turbo'd Audi petrol, so wanted the feel and sound of the V6, for a change.

I thought that until I test drove the V8 S4 (B7). Lovely sound, but oh boy did it feel lazy after heavily modified turbo's. On paper it was every bit as quick (if not quicker) than what I'm come from, but you got this tremendous noise and a 'magic carpet' sensation as it wafted along that just left you feeling a bit numb (sure the RS4 would have been a world apart, but not in my budget back then).

In the end whilst it was a great car for the money (£34k at the time in '07), I decided to go back to the S3 and the tappety 4 pot.

Each to his own but I find the S3 engine to be incredibly boring. Absolutely no character. Yes it explodes from about 3k but after that it's a scripted ending.

I think a big problem with Audi in general is that they cater too much for the "luxury" sector..... even something like the RS4 which by all accounts is an awesome car leaves you feeling a little bit disconnected and numb from the driving experience in my opinion.

In fact of all the German high performance cars I've driven, M6's, AMGs, RS* etc.. The only car that stirred my soul was a Carrera S. With the sports pack it was a perfect combination of German engineering combined with the raw driving pleasure.... Can't wait to own one day :)

warrencox and dogzilla, very good points.

my previous car was a mapped 1.8T 225 TT, pushing around 265+bhp.
right conditions on my own it was fun, but lacked a bit of something on the fun side.
before that i came from a celica 190 vvtli, that lacked torque, but had a little something else in it (at times it was fun at times it was tiring to drive quick).

thought about the s4, but that's even less econonmical than the 3.2v6.

i can imagine what dogzilla is saying too, but the s3 on paper with remap and price, there's not much out there which delivers that, with the prestige.

i can imagine what dogzilla is saying too, but the s3 on paper with remap and price, there's not much out there which delivers that, with the prestige.

Nail on the head, and echoes the views have been aired here many many times. Its the `alrounder` qualities that make the S3 special.

And no, its 4 pot engine wont set your world on fire, but few will.

cheers
Paul

I think a big problem with Audi in general is that they cater too much for the "luxury" sector.....

Maybe true, but if your looking for a focused `thrill a minute` ride then I reckon the AUDI showroom is probably the wrong place anyway.