Spacers?

T88OMM

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase some spacers for the rear wheels of my A3. The wheels sit a little too far back in the arches for my liking at the moment. The car will be lowered on coilovers on Friday approximately 45-50mm all the way round running a 19' wheel with an ET 50 and 8'' width.

Can anyone recommend a sutiable size to go for to allow them to be pushed out as far as possible without them rubbing :icon_thumright:

i would say 10mm each side & my prefence would be a spacer that bolts to the axel then the alloy bolts to the spacer. It means you keep the locking wheel key and there is less stress on the longer bolts.

Just my two peneths worth though.

I wouldnt go any more than 10mm tbh.

You will probs have to take the rear bumper screw off and trim the bit of the arch that sticks out a little bit too.

But with 225 tyres and above, the rubbing should be minimal if any..

5mm max mate i would go - if you et is 50 already (which is optimal), going 10mm will take you to et40 which is pushing the boundary a bit if you are going to be lowered

especially at the back - there is a screw on each arch about three quarters the way up the back bumper on the edge which WILL catch the tyre if you are spaced out and lowered - mine does if i hit a corner really hard or have a heavy load in the car - i just havent had time yet to check it out or remove it - and my wheels ARE NOT spaced!

what tyres have you on? mine are 235/35/19 which is the right size for 8.5" (i can mind if my ch's are 8 or 8.5) but you could get a smaller width tyre like 215/35/19 and have a stretch look, this may bypass the screw issue

Thanks for the input guys, I will have a look for the arch screw and get it taken out. I will try 5mm for a while and see if it goes ok. Where is the screw located in the rear bumper?? :icon_thumright:

Gutted, Just sold a set of 10mm AMD hubcentric spacers on Ebay! They would have been perfect for yours!

Be careful with anything less than 10mm because i don't believe they'll be hubcentric.

I had 10mm on the front of mine and 15mm on the back. No rubbing issues at all on the back as long as i didn't have rear passengers....Then bigger bumps in the road caused a bit of grief.
I was set to go on a a longer journey with a passenger in the back (and luggage) so i deceided to take the spacers off the front and put the 10mm's on the rear.

Seriously, if you care about the feel and handling of a car.... do NOT put spacers on the front wheels. As soon as i set off, the difference without spacers was incredible. I never realised how much spacers deaden the feedback from the road and numb the handling. So i've now stuck with the 10mm rear and none on the front set up. No rubbing whatsoever even with 2 passengers in the back (unless i hit a speed bump quicker than i should have).

So yeh... Go with 10mm on the rear and leave the front well alone.

I do however have some 15mm Eibach Pro's for sale if anyone fancies making an offer!