Double Glazing

edition

Reaction score
Hi,

After getting some double glazing done at the rear of my house.

Got a back door with a window at the side, and 2 other windows at the back we want doing.

How easy are these to do yourself? or is this a job a pro. should be doing?

Cheers,

Next time your out and about near where you live and see a house having double glazing try politely asking if the guy does cash in hand work, he will have all the tools and materials needed, sure you might pay a little bit extra than what it is to DIY but most of these guys are self employed and dont mind doing a few jobs on the side....

(The secret is to do it while the missus is out then claim all the glory :p)

do windows/doors now have to be fitted by fensa companies?

I thought this was the case, and certficates would need to be shown if/when a house was sold for windows / doors fitted.

However, who would know what has been fitted......

I fitted a small replacement window & that was pain in **** & I'm no idiot (I think), my mates window fitter so got him to do the rest, just pay some local guy you see some cash & get them to do, done in such small amount of time & they also will order the correct thickness of glass cause believe it or not they dont seem to be standard sizes, well mine wernt anyway, sometimes for sake of peace & mind plus better job get someone else to do it, as much as I like to do things myself sometimes I cant be ***** for the headache or maybe thats just age, lol

yes windows should really be fitted by fensa companies as i found out when i sold my old house last year,

the new people had the house checked out and i made mistake saying that the windows were new and i had fitted them, opened a whole bag of worms and ended up having to change them as they didnt meet fire regs etc and planning got involved.

so even though you can buy them from places like b&q etc be aware of the pitfuls.......or lie and say they were fitted when you bought the house or where done years ago befor enew rules came in

regards fitting them its nor a hard job if you have some decent building skills, if not well worht as said finding someone to do it cash in hand

Hmm might get some quotes :) If they come in abit steep have a pop myself.