New Turbo!

T88OMM

Reaction score
Okay it turns out that the turbo on my A3 is on its way out :banghead:

I have had nothing but problems with this car and its safe to say I will never be buying an A3 again :3sadwalk:

I have seen that a few guys on here have had to replace their turbos, I would like to know the cheapest way to sort out a replacement. The engine is a 2.0 TDI S-Line on a 55 plate with 50,000 miles

Thanks,

Tom :o.k:

The cheapest way to do it is to buy a recon turbo. Many of these companies take your existing turbo in exchange. I think your looking at at least £500 all in, probably closer to £600.

wow, 50,000 miles is terrible! Mine went at 70,000.

Recon is the best way imo, you get a years warrenty with most. You could just swap the turbo and sell the car?

Mine went at 65k miles. I think I paid around £500 for a replacement about 2 years ago.

mine done just over a 100k, so does that mean mine has been changed or can it be still running on the original ?

how do you know when your turbo is on the way out ???????

I thought tell-tale signs were things like blue smoke emmitted from the exhaust, audible signs are simply just a "whining" noise when accellerating.

Anything else, im not sure.

I was following a Passat about a year ago on the M6 and it was absolutely pouring smoke out, I could see it from a good mile or so away. I got closer and closer, eventually there was some kind of catastrophic failure as she pulled off the motorway onto the hard shoulder, that could have been the turbo or perhaps just oil maybe.

The common faults with the 1.9 and 2.0 TDI turbos are either it whines like a police car siren, it leaks oil or the linkage sticks causing boost pressure faults - either boost pressure limit not reached or boost pressure limit exceeded.

Because it sounds like a golf cart whenever it comes on boost and I have had it checked at 2 reputable garages and they have confirmed that this is the problem, NOT GOOD!! :uhm:

Mine went at 65k miles. I think I paid around £500 for a replacement about 2 years ago.

Can you remember where you got it from and is that £500 fitted or just for the turbo?? If so how much are you looking at for fitting?? :huh:

A mechanic mate got it from a local motor factors for trade price, which was £500 two years ago.I also paid for a couple hours of his time for fitting,plus a few gaskets from Audi.

sure the car has not had its clock rolled back? or has it got FSH?

ebay is the way for a cheaper turbo but then again you loose the warrenty in most cases!

you could try
http://www.gap-turbos.com/
great refurb prices and warrently inc for 12,000 miles or something cant remember. but excellent service.

sure the car has not had its clock rolled back? or has it got FSH?

Turbo's can really go at any time. You will see some cars doing 200k on the original turbo, whereas others may have 2 new turbo's before they reach 100k. It is a matter of luck to a certain extent, although regular servicing and careful driving also help.