Clarkson on S3's

RobinW

Reaction score
Found this the other day ...
Rob

It's Mika Hakkinen in a Marks & Spencer suit; Motoring. (Features) Jeremy Clarkson.

I MET a food stylist the other day and wondered. How did that come about then? How do you start out in life wanting to be an astronaut or a film star, and end up with a Davey lamp on your head, using surgical tweezers to arrange sesame seeds on a bun?

And then I wondered some more. What a sham. It is this person who builds up my hopes in hamburger restaurants. I see a photograph of a bulging, steaming snack that bears no relationship whatsoever to the tired old cowpat I'm actually given. Apart perhaps from the steam.

And that brings me neatly to the Audi TT. When they first showed me a photograph of this Bauhaus barnstormer, I was positively moist with anticipation. But then I went for a drive and, within half an hour, found myself wearing that detached, middle-distance expression normally reserved for dinner parties when I find myself next to a man who services reservoirs.

The Audi TT looks like a sports car, but it isn't one. It's an automotive Ginger Spice, superficially lithe and speedy, but beneath the clothes all droopy and loose. Like a soggy walnut.

Interesting then that I've fallen madly in love with the new Audi S3, a car that shares the same turbocharged engine as the TT along with the same four-wheel-drive system and the same six-speed gearbox.

This is because the S3 doesn't try to look like a sports car. Apart from bigger wheels, wider arches and more crouching stance, it looks like a normal A3, which is an unpretentious hatchback. And because I wasn't expecting it to garnish the road with Tabasco sauce, I didn't really mind that the gearbox was vague and that the brake pedal acted like a switch.

And so what if it doesn't have electric responses when you turn the wheel. Audi, bless them, have never been able to make a car that handles properly but, for the thousands of doctors and solicitors who buy such things, it doesn't really matter.

If you want a sharp suit, go to Subaru and buy the Armani Impreza. If you want Boss badging buy a BMW, but if you just want something for work there's always good old Audi and Spencer.

But then I pressed the accelerator pedal and thought: whoa, hold on a minute. The S3 may not be up to much in the bends, but in a straight line it is positively explosive. Even in sixth gear at 70mph, it hurtles off toward the horizon like a rabbit.

I simply wasn't ready for such vivid performance from what is basically a 1.8 litre, three-door hatchback. And that's where the S3 really scores. By maintaining low expectations, you're constantly being delighted - by the epic night-time dashboard that glows like Los Angeles, by the blue tinted headlamp beam and, most of all, by the Recaro seats. Not since I drove an old Renault Fuego have I ever been quite so comfortable. In a car, that is.

It's also been a while since I felt so comfortable with a car. While it doesn't actually turn heads, it has real-world good looks. What I'm trying to say is that it isn't Brad Pitt or David Beckham; it's just a handsome bloke on the other side of the bar.

And that four-ringed badge comes with no unpleasant baggage. When I see an Audi coming up our drive, I'll rush to the door to see who it is. When I see a BMW, I close the shutters and pretend to be out.

You buy an Audi because you want a practical, well-made tool to convey you, and some passengers, sensibly and with the minimum of fuss from your agreeable house in the country to, let's say, Assaggi in Notting Hill. People with Bee Ems go to Quaglino's, so they can shout.

And finally we get to the price: Pounds 27,000. Which is a lot for what, as I said, is basically a hatchback. But it is not a lot for a car that does quite so much, quite so well.

For the same money, you could have a Mitsubishi Evo 6, but you'd arrive everywhere looking like Gary Rhodes. Or you could have the BMW 323 coupe. But you'd arrive everywhere late.

For the past year or so, I've been singing the praises of Alfa Romeo's GTV6, which is Pounds 28,000. In fact, I've come awfully close to telling strangers in traffic jams that they've bought the wrong car. "Oi, you. Why are you driving around in that p.o.s. when you could have had an Alfa? You are a moron and I hate you on a cellular level."

Well, now there is an excusable alternative. If you really, really need back seats and you absolutely must have a boot that can take more than one prawn, you may buy an Audi S3. It's the second-best car in this class, which is like being the second-best racing driver after Michael Schumacher.

There you are. The S3 is Mika Hakkinen. Cool. Detached. Handsome. And much, much faster than you'd think.

Sweet cutting, though he can be tedious, his form of writing is good and amusing.

Long live the S3

im yet to blast past him. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

he lives just down the road.

not a million miles away from Richa3Turbo either.

[ QUOTE ]
PaulS3 said:
im yet to blast past him. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

he lives just down the road.

not a million miles away from Richa3Turbo either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope not far at all.. actually seen him a couple of times in Burford! Also, his son is about a bit too...you would know him cos hes a tall fecker that looks JUST like Jeremy! I mean the spitting image!

RIch

It just shows that his review is written with preconceived ideas. Just because of the styling of the TT led him to expect so much he slates the car. Because the styling of the S3 is just a "1.8 litre, three-door hatchback" he was pleasantly surprised.

The fact that they go and handle virtually identically (I've been with plenty of S3's on tracks whilst I had my TT) doesn't come into it. In his mind one is great and one is crap.

The artilce says more about the reviewer than the cars. The TT and S3 are the same car but where one has an emphasis on design and styling and the other on praticality. Does is mean one is better than the other? No - choose the one that suits you best.

It's a shame Clarkson can't see beyond his own preconceptions.

You don't happen to see what car he is driving do you?Is it a yellow t reg?By the way what was the number 1 car in the test?The Michael Schumacher of the class?regards Ryan

[ QUOTE ]
Ryanc said:
You don't happen to see what car he is driving do you?Is it a yellow t reg?By the way what was the number 1 car in the test?The Michael Schumacher of the class?regards Ryan

[/ QUOTE ]

I think its the Alfa Romeo's GTV6 he refers to in the article.

[ QUOTE ]
scoTTy said:
It just shows that his review is written with preconceived ideas. Just because of the styling of the TT led him to expect so much he slates the car. Because the styling of the S3 is just a "1.8 litre, three-door hatchback" he was pleasantly surprised.

The fact that they go and handle virtually identically (I've been with plenty of S3's on tracks whilst I had my TT) doesn't come into it. In his mind one is great and one is crap.

The artilce says more about the reviewer than the cars. The TT and S3 are the same car but where one has an emphasis on design and styling and the other on praticality. Does is mean one is better than the other? No - choose the one that suits you best.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm...but what is the TT supposed to be if not a sports car?

[ QUOTE ]
excursion said:
[ QUOTE ]
scoTTy said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm...but what is the TT supposed to be if not a sports car?

[/ QUOTE ]

A fashion accessory

A Coupe and a Roadster. The clue is in the names! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

It seems the people who claim they're sports cars then argue against themselves to say that their not! It's a strange world we live in.

I wonder if the people that judge a cars performance purely on its look also do the same with people? Seems kinda shallow to me.

[ QUOTE ]
scoTTy said:
It just shows that his review is written with preconceived ideas.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I find he cannot maintain impartiality during his reviews. He reviews for affect and with the intention of propogating his fan base.

I believe he now says what most of his fans expect him to say!

He is funny though! ... but that's about all!

[ QUOTE ]
scoTTy said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree with everything you've said. Would be nice for him to drop some of his flamboyance in favour of impartiality.

I think his views are quite refreshing, he shows that buying a car is not purely based on numbers os statistics, but there is also emotion invovled when spending thousands of pounds on a car when really, we don't need to. Carkson often refers to his views, as in-explicable and "his" views.

And I can see why he doesn't like the TT, it really looks like a car a "sporty" car. And therefore, should drive like one. It is like buying a 318 beemer, and sticking an M3 badge on it (ok, it's not really, but I'm trying to make a point!). In my personal opinion I like the TT, but I'm just trying to put his view accross. Now I'm just mumbling.....
Anyway, I think I read somewhere that Audi changed the setup of the TT to help it stick to the road better, leading to the handling suffering? making it different to the S3?

Yes heard that my self, think they changed the anti-roll bar set up. Remember Ess Three mentioning something about it in his post about uprated bars.

Said that the earlier TT's where better but owners where complaining about the rear stepping out when coming off the throttle (oh what a shame, why can you drive?)hence gave them chronic understeer set up which albeit 'safer' made them very unexceiting to drive.

[ QUOTE ]
ScotSTHREE said:
Said that the earlier TT's where better but owners where complaining about the rear stepping out when coming off the throttle (oh what a shame, why can you drive?)hence gave them chronic understeer set up which albeit 'safer' made them very unexceiting to drive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hence the little spoiler thing they have.

[ QUOTE ]
ScotSTHREE said:
Yes heard that my self, think they changed the anti-roll bar set up. Remember Ess Three mentioning something about it in his post about uprated bars.

[/ QUOTE ]

Iditos! just learn to control it! Lift off oversteer is great fun! Since lowering my A3, its made it easier to get the back end kicking out round roundabouts .etc /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif All good fun!

Rich

Well judging from what you've said about the poor handling of the TT, the S3 guys I've been on tracks with should stand up and make their excuses!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

My GF had a 2001 180 TT, currently has a 2003 225 TT and I've had my 1999 S3 for a few months. All three are un-moded .
IMO all 3 cars handle differently particular TT vs S3! The 2003 TT does feel more riged and stable in the corners than the 2001, I'd describe both very much as a go-kart compared to the S3, I just feel my S3 is more fun to drive. But I'm no expert as I havn't properly driven any real sports cars to compare or done any kind of track day.

I've been an audi nut from a young age, and need the practicallity of a hatch. However, my GF just likes to pose!