Whats best, repair or replacement of driveshaft

Turbo Lag FTW

Hate those none insured you know who types
Reaction score
Carlisle, Cumbria. Not Geordie nor Scotch!
Hey guys found my drivers side driveshaft boot has failed and was wondering which is best. To get a refurb on the driveshaft or buy a new unit, was told best to replace whole unit when I last had one fail many years back on a Pug 309.

Also would the driveshaft be liable to make knockin noises over slightest of bumps/ramps?

just replace the boot if thats all thats wrong with it

chris

just replace the boot if thats all thats wrong with it

chris

The CV is more likely to be clicking when cornering anr accererating. Knocking on bumps is more likely one of the ball joints on the arms tbh as they are prone to failiure.

As long as the cv isnt clicking then the boot can be changed with new clips and replacement grease

Yep i'd just fit a new boot.

Two points though.

1. take the CV joint (and shaft) off the car, and give the joint a VERY thorough clean out with solventy type stuff, to get rid of both the old grease and any grit/dirt thats got into the joint, or its unlikely to last very long. Its pretty easy to do on an A4 due to the bolt on inner.

2. use a proper replacement boot, not a universal glue together one, having the joint off the car will mean its easy to fit it too.

Yep i'd just fit a new boot.

Two points though.

1. take the CV joint (and shaft) off the car, and give the joint a VERY thorough clean out with solventy type stuff, to get rid of both the old grease and any grit/dirt thats got into the joint, or its unlikely to last very long. Its pretty easy to do on an A4 due to the bolt on inner.

2. use a proper replacement boot, not a universal glue together one, having the joint off the car will mean its easy to fit it too.