diesel mots

fifer1981

Reaction score
alright guys,

been chatting with a mot tester about my mot which is due next month end of may. the tester asked when my timing belt had been done, it hasnt yet its not 5 years old till the very end of july and has only done 42k

he said he asks as he has to bounce the engine off the rpm limiter. what is this for and how long do they bounce it of the rev limiter ?

wanted to do the mot then put some money away every month to get the belt done, just a little worried as the mechanic says most dealers wont want to do it just incase

Its a smoke test and they should not bounce it off the governor (that's the correct name for the "limiter").
The correct procedure is to take the car for at least a 5 mile run, with high engine speed to get the engine hot then run the car in to the garage and test it straight away.

Any delay is likely to allow soot to build in the exhaust and then fail the car.

When I worked in a garage (more than 13 years ago now) every car we tested failed, because we had let them idle for the whole MoT test and then ran the smoke test last. It took a while to get it right.

What should happen is that the engine is revved to the governor and held for one second, then allowed to return to idle. This is repeated a few times as required by the smoke tester.
The reason they ask about your timing belt is that it may snap (unlikely) and they want to indemnify themselves.

Recommended timing belt change interval is 60k or 4 years - I would look into it soonest. :thumbsup: