elusive fuel filter

Rutter

Reaction score
where the hell is the fuel filter on an audi a4 1.6 1995?!
iv never owned an audi before and i cant find any pictures or guides anywhere!!

never looked myself but i'm going to guess its gonna be on the side of the fuel tank just infront of the offside wheel

right got it, replaced it after a battle with a seized jubilee clip, i was hoping the new filter would be the cure to my problem but no shes stillhaving problems starting and still pottering when idling and jerking when accelerating =/, any ideas?

Right, i would try openeing the fuel filler cap next time its pottering to see if that cures it, if it does and wooshes when you open it, the N80 vavle is suspect. A quick thought occurs, have you read the fault codes off her yet?

anyone live in or near the west midlands and fancy checking my car for fault codes?

If all the normal things are OK - plugs etc then is the temp running OK? Could be a faulty temp sender which is a common fault on the B5 and gives all sorts of wierd problems as the ECU thinks the engine is hot when it's cold and/or vice versa. This causes lumpy idle, stalling and bad starting. It's a £20 part from the dealer and an easy DIY fit, so worth looking at.

yea i replaced the plugs, fuel filter, air filter and even put a quater bottle of redex in the tank but its only eased the problem. the temp gauge hardly ever moves, never seen get even close to half way.

There lies your problem then!

The temp guage has a buffer which means that at the normal operating range it will display 90. This means at any temp from about 75 to 105 it sits pointing at 90, and only moves if the temp exceeds this range.

If its not getting to 90 then either the sensors shot, or the thermostat is jammed open. Our 1.8T had a jammed thermostat when we baught it, and it would only ever get to 90 if it was left idling in a traffic jam or something, as soon as you were moving it would drop right off.

If yours isnt even doing that then i'd look at the temperature sender first.

ahh nice one! are they easy to fit or will it be a garage job?

i may have to drop by yours at some point then if you dont mind xD

Easy to fit yourself. Make sure the coolant isn't hot as some will spray out when you remove the sender. Release the pressure in the coolant system by undoing the cap on the reservoir, but make sure you put it straight back on. Then locate the sender, unplug it and then slide out the retaining clip to remove. It might take a struggle to get it out if it's the original (old style ones are blue). Replace it using the new green version from dealer with a new O ring. Have the new one ready to go when you pull the old one out to reduce coolant loss. Slide the clip back in and reattach the wiring.
Don't use cheaper ebay ones, get one from a VAG dealer - they're only £20.