Noisy front end - Tie Rod or Spring Mounts?

I

imported_paranoico

Hi Guys,

I've discovered an unpleasantly sounding noise in my 2001 A6 V8's front end. It sounds like a deep cracking sound, that can also be felt through the steering column. It can be heard when rocking the front end of the car or pushing it sideways, or when turning the wheels to either end.

I called a dealership and talked to the service manager to see what this could be and he gave me two intuitive and quick answers, stating it might be either a worn Tie Rod or that my front springs had come out of their mountings or slid to the side, therefore making strange noises.

Anybody heard anything like this? The car has 53K miles.

I'll appreciate all the help I can get, since my nearest dealership is in Tulsa, over 100 miles away from here (Bentonville, Arkansas; AKA: The middle of nowhere! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

Thanks

I have a 99 A6 avant and i had the same problem...it is possibly the lower suspension arms as it is a common fault on all audi's....or poss track rod end/ steering rack play.... does your car drift at speed and do you have to keep correcting your steering? :cool:

They suspension arms are prone to it, just jack up the "noisy" corner and see if the wheel plays atall, you should be able to locate it if it moves there.