No brake lights

K

kaizokuninja

My mate's A3 1.8t 99 has no brake lights currently.
All bulbs have been checked as have the fuses.

He has been pointed towards the brake switch, which apparently is a common fault on these cars.

Anyone had anything similar in the past which they sorted? Or anyone know how to replace this 'brake switch'?

Help appreciated.
=)

Never done one but just locate it on the brake pedal and it should be a easy swap, or even test the one on there it may have just threaded so might be loose

i replaced mine on my 1st A3, its a doddle to do, like fingermouse said the switch is located on the brake pedal, unplug the wire from it and rotate it 90° either left or right cannot remember as it was a few year ago and it will just pull out of it location. (could even be 180°)

fitting is just the opposite of removal ;)

also when you are fitting a new one, they are self adjusting so no need to set it up.

iirc they part was £12 from audi.

hope that helps

in my experience when the brake light switch goes it throws the esp and abs lights on it did with mine anyways i know thats not really guna help but just thinking it might not be the brake light switch

I've had to change brake switches in both my Passat and S3, they are such a weak part, and setting/adjusting it the the most difficult bit, so the lights come on when you feather the pedal the first few mm. Easy enough to do really, just take a good look before you take anything apart and you will see how it's take off.