Management

RustyZA

Does this smell infected to u?
Reaction score
I have a 1.8 (no turbo) A3 2001. Was wondering if it would be worth while to have it chipped. If it will help with fuel economy or add some power? If I should do it, what chip should I look for.

I heard that bluefin are good but it its hard to get power gains from a non turbo engine. Ever thought of buying a 1.8T? So easy to tune and a very reliable turbo engine? If its not for you then no worries im sure theres ways of gaining power...

I was looking for one. But I tested quite a few and let's just say that either the previous owners did not know how to drive properly or they didn't care, that and the interioir's were a baby's playground. That is why I ended up getting a normal 1.8.

For the 1.8 it may not be worth it, It's the same cost to chip as a "t" and the gains are small. You are looking at max 10 bhp, and possibly smoother delivery of power, also it could improve economy, but again not as much as it would with a turbo car

I assumed the effect wouldn't be as much as it would with a T. But any small advantage (especially with fuel) is always welcomed.

Minimum of £250 for a chip for a possible 5% raise in fuel ecomony and a bit more poke.

The turbo cars tend to get more economy as they are tuned for more power off boost too, so as long as you keep it off boost you can see increases of 10% and 50 BHP, Bargain

Can we get bluefins for the s3?

I know alot of people use them on astra vxr's but not heard of them being used on vag cars

Im sure you can get bluefin for VAG, alot of the 8P boys have this, so maybe worth having a look in there..

As for upgrading the 1.8, you aint really going to get much power gains from a chip, If it was me personally, I would save the money and see if you can add some more to getting a better looked after 1.8T, as it sounds like thats what you are really after and once you find a decent one, put the money into that and have instant and more noticeable power gains.