S3 Engine Mounts on Phase 2 Car

Dazzeroo

Reaction score
My car is currently running Stage 2 (TBE Milltek, Fuel Pump, CAIS, Stage 2 Custom Code Map) and I've noticed a large banging noise when changing gear during spirited driving?

My exhaust is also rattling like a banshee!

I have read that the Emgine Mounts are a weakness on the 8P...any ideas?

:think:

THink Iggu has done his mounts, he is also Stage 2 (REVO)

cheers
Paul

Some info on Regal's site about engine mounts, they recommend the upgrade plus my preferred tuner Stattler mentioned that the S3 engine has 'plenty of movement' so fairly common.

I'd bet that your Milltek needs re-adjusting. I had a banging on the bottom of my car shortly after it was fitted. It was when I backed off from high revs to change gear. Sounded like a thud on the bottom of the car. The connecting section from the downpipe to the first silencer needed twisting round slightly to give it a bit more clearance away from the bottom of the car.

Does the rattling only happen when the cars warmed up? If so, that's another adjustment. When the exhaust gets hot it expands hell of a lot. I couldn't believe it but look at how much further your tailpipes stick out when it's hot from when it's cold. Mine can stick out probably 20mm further (oow er missus!). Have a look under the car when it's hot and I bet the exhaust is touching the rear subframe mounts. You can just see where mine's been hitting by the marks on the exhaust.

000_1422.jpg

The rear section needs to be slid forward a bit to allow for the expansion.

I know what you mean about the uprated mounts, when the exhaust is banging you get the feeling that the engine and exhaust have gone all sloppy but trust me, a couple of adjustments and it feels totally different.

Chris

it rattles from cold also...then sounds like a banging from under the passenger front seat...reckon you're right boggy, a small adjustment to the tbe and it shud be fine...

It's funny how these exhausts are fine when they're first put on but in a small amount of time they just need a little "tweek" after they've settled down to put them right again. I don't think it's always the case but it certainly was with mine.

Sounds like you need to get it up on the ramps and get it sorted. You'll be chuffed with again after and forget all about uprated engine mounts.

Though that said, engine mounts make a huge difference.
All that slack taken out of the engine means, when you put the power down it is instantly trnsmitted through the drive train, rather than 'absorbed'.
The down side is that you lose refinement, more engine noise in cabin etc, but if performance is your aim they are a good mod.

Dont they also suffer alot with the dogbone mounting wear or perishing because they do an insert if i am correct