bhp and torque question

emery1990

Reaction score
If a car has say 220 bhp and 260 lb torque and was going against exactly the same car that had 240bhp but still 260lb torque would they accelarate at the same speed, but the 240 bhp would have a higher top end.

just asking as i was reading another post that this man was saying about his 250 jabba remap but only 235lb torque and saying it doesnt feel faster.

when i gets my remap can i ask for maximum torque, couldnt care less about top end.

that might not even make sense.

Torque is what pushes the car along. The more the better and its the more important of the two.

I believe (in very basic terms) bhp is in relation to how easily the engine can rev.

The bicycle analogy is probably the easiest to understand.

If your going up a hill, your legs have to work harder. The stronger your legs, the harder you can push the pedals down, and more torque is being produced, so you will go up the hill easier.

power is how 'fast' you can turn the pedals.

so basically you need both, but as said above, an increase in torque is probably the most noticeable as it will deal with the weight of the car better.

I think thats right....someone can correct me if not :)

ohright, could you have your car set up to have like over 300 lb torque through gear ratio changes etc. or does do something else,

ohright, could you have your car set up to have like over 300 lb torque through gear ratio changes etc. or does do something else,

Well that'll depend on if the turbo can produce that much torque and also if the engine can and also maintain it without bending arod etc.

you need the power to get it so either a bigger turbo/NoS/bigger engine

The theory is sound, there isn't always any point in eeking every scrap of power from an engine as it is torque that governs how much push you get. You cannot however have one with out the other and as such you will find the plots will actually cross at 5225 rpm ( i think) to produce the same figure regardeless or race colour or creed.

I would certainly rather have a car with better low down torque than one with high power spikes, kind of like the difference in driving a diesel to a petrol car

Bhp is created from torque, it's a combination of torque and revs, as above 5225 (pretty sure it's 5252 tho) is used in the equation, do a wiki on it or have a look at howstuffworks.com.

5225 5252 ?? hands up whos getting to them figures to see the crossover ?