Weird whining noise

ghost.s3

Reaction score
For the past couple of days I've been getting this weird whining noise coming from the car - particularly when driving slowly. It sounds like it's coming from the passenger side of the engine bay. It generally happens when I'm moving - and I don't think it's the brakes - cos it happens even when I'm not braking. Also, doesn't seem to be related to steering. It's like a whistling noise - constant, but not as high pitched. It happens even when the car is cold.

Anyone have any idea what it could be?:uhm:
Thanks

My ex wife caught in the wheel well? LOL

Is the noise only when driving or just when engine running? If it's when driving, is it better or worse when turning? As it could be a wheel bearing if it's more a droning noise.

power steering fluid.....needs topping or u have a leak somewhere

Lol, or my ex girlfriend :)
Thought it might be the power steering fluid - but it sounds ike a different kind of whine - more high pitched and constant - not just when I turn. It's just when I'm driving, not stationary. Although when I was driving home, I played around with the steering a little and it seemed to come and go - so it might be the fluid or something else. Oh well, back to the mechy.
Thanks guys

Double check your steering fluid, the pumps aren't very robust and if starved of fluid will go bang very quickly leaving you with very, very heavy steering and a large bill for a new pump.

When my pump went on the R32 it had a small split in one of the fluid pipes and all the fluid seeped out on a long journey. I couldn't hear it at the time as I had the music fairly loud, but the car was constantly whining. I really should have noticed everybody turning their heads to have a look at where that high pitched whine was coming from. I thought people were just admiring the Milltek exhaust. The pump died when I tried parking in a bay, and that was only 4 hours after the resevoir went from full to empty.