Big Tar splat on my beloved A3 V6 bonnet! Help!!!!

Scruffy

Reaction score
Hey people,

Driving along the M1 last week and a big blob of tar landed on my bonnet. Tried using tar remover but it has unfortunately turned my paint a greeny colour :( Is there anything I can do, insurance wise for example, and does anyone know the costs of a respray/new bonnet?

Thanks guys

(also I need a VAG-COM coding for my new rns-e retrofit, anyone in the Leeds area able to help?)

Cheesy peeps. Turned green. Are you sure the paint has turned and its not just the tar breaking down

it sounds like the tar breaking down and a smudge of tar on your paint, put some white spirit on a microfibre cloth and gently rub it on mark, keep doing, if that doesn't work, try tar remover and then a good polish with a polishing machine!

I hope I can get it off then! Any ideas on new bonnet costs or resprays? My rns-e arrive today... I very excite! Lol

Yup think that will be as the others are saying.

You will be happy with the RNS-E!!!!

im not sure about prices but i would say bonnet and respray, about £300 and hopefully they will not need to do any blending on the wings.

i had this happen to me. for some reason, it worked itself onto the paint and underneath the laquer ? what ever i tried, tardis, ag tar remover didn't do the trick. it was too late by the time the tar was removed, it ate itself onto the paint and left like a hazy green imprint that you couldn't feel or remove.

Well luckily the paint is black so will there be much need to blend the wings? Time to fit the rns-e, anyone wanting me to do a write up on it?

may as well do a write up mate, could help some people when fitting.

depends really, black should be ok as it would be quite hard to distinguish any colour differences.

Have you tried Autosmart Tardis? Its a bit more potent than your average tar remover.

How big is this bit of tar?

Had some lower panel tar spots from some recent road laying so tried to remove them with Car Plan tar remover.

MISTAKE, avoid at all costs, yeah it removes the tar, but ***** up the paint at the same time.
Luckily I tried it on a small area and it was in a pretty inconspucious place so a bit of polishing with some Autoglym resin polish and its Ok-ish now.

Orrible struff, its like a harsh T Cut and leaves an awful finish.
Rubbish.

cheers
Paul

yea, there is a lot of stuff out there that is horrid for your paint, t-cut is one of the worst.