Is this S4 worth a punt?

inS4ne

lives for speed
Reaction score
Whilst my searching continues, I've been secretly harbouring a crush on this S4, however, the mileage concerns me.......should it?

Just can't get over those rear Recaro's and needless to say the lump up front :hubbahubba:

Whilst we're on the subject, what's the capacity of the tank on these?

Wow thats high mileage for a 53 Plate!

Alot of car there for the money still and with the AUDI history id look into it more...mileage aint a massive issue but maybe that much on a 53 plate is very high to some or most.

Id be checking the service history out to see when its last MAJOR service was, tensioners, belts etc...

Wow thats high mileage for a 53 Plate!

Yeah someone has had a fair old fuel bill!

As J7 says it all hinges on the history really, it looks tidy enough from the pics. Having a 130k 03 plate car has made me re-think high mileage cars, if that was straight it wouldn't bother me at all.

I assume the tank is 66 litres like the rest...?

I would hope that it's had it's second belt change. Certainly is a lot of car for the money, mileage is probably 90% motorway miles but I just wanted some sensible heads to put forth their opinions!

Having a 130k 03 plate car has made me re-think high mileage cars, if that was straight it wouldn't bother me at all.

A diesel with that sort of mileage wouldn't bother me, I've got a 2.3 petrol Galaxy at the moment with 144K on the clock and that don't really bother me......it's the fact that this mileage is on such a powerful lump, lot of stress and strain. I'm in no doubt that the engine is manufactured to the highest quality but I'm not wanting to spend that sort of cash to end up with a bill for a complete rebuild a year down the line :scared2:

I suspose I'm just being a wee bit chicken. Most powerful motor I've had to date is a Legacy GT, I'm looking at getting a B5 S4 but then this appears.............

As long as it has full history and you can verify it. All good. Everybody loves low milage cars but when the milage is that high most of the major work, problems and parts have been replaced. Audis are built to last. If cars wernt bought with that milage on it they would all be in the scrap yard by now.

My point is buy it keep it drive it.

Good luck on your quest.

A diesel with that sort of mileage wouldn't bother me, I've got a 2.3 petrol Galaxy at the moment with 144K on the clock and that don't really bother me......it's the fact that this mileage is on such a powerful lump, lot of stress and strain.

It's a 4.2 V8 with 330 odd BHP it's not like it's a 2.0t running loads of boost and straining its nuts off!!

It'll be fine :icon_thumright:

A great spec too :s4addict:

I would hope that it's had it's second belt change.

s4's dont have a cam belt to change as their on chains.

But its recomended that the chains are changed at 160,000 IIRC

Its an engine out job that I would imagine would run into the thousands

Eeek best start saving then!

160K chain change over...??
Holy **** - Buy it and your nearly there!!!

A diesel with that sort of mileage wouldn't bother me,

Its a 4.2 V8 lol these are bullet proof...providing it has proper servicing throughout then it shudnt bother you, i bet if you drove it, you wouldnt know whether it had done 200 miles or 200k...mines just done the 100k and is sweet as a nut...behind the wheel lol

Whilst my searching continues, I've been secretly harbouring a crush on this S4, however, the mileage concerns me.......should it?

Just can't get over those rear Recaro's and needless to say the lump up front :hubbahubba:

Whilst we're on the subject, what's the capacity of the tank on these?

Your other B6 vs B5 thread has had me thinking for days to be honest, as I still like the B5 shape and getting an older shape S4 or S6 would be a more affordable way for me to get more power, and as I do conciderably less miles now than I did or expected to be doing I was thinking maybe a diesel isn't for me anymore. I've also been searching the usual places and did see the BLue S4 you've linked, but for some reason that company name rings a bell - something to do with replacement diesel engines from someone on the diesel forum I think, although may be mistaken - James may be able to put me straight on that one.

Anyway I found this one too, with less mileage, I just figured relacement seats would need to be allowed for as the colour is pretty bad
LINK

Well its the same as my previous car S4 B6 avant in moro blue, nice car, lacked real power IMHO but still very nice car, B5 S4 would be better if you want more power & more tunable as the B6 4.2 has limited tuning abilities, had mine revo'd & it improved it to drive but you only got an extra 20 horses & wasnt that noticeable power wise.

I'm sure the seller is the one someone mentioned ages ago who sold **** derv engines, I could be wrong but as you say name rings a bell to.

But I hope if you buy the 4.2 you have deep pockets cause you're looking at 16-18mpg on most journeys & taken from realtime driving for 2 years, 20 if you're lucky & no dont start another S4 B6 mpg argument, just what I have proved to a number of B6 S4 owners so far the real mpg of there car, lol

So what I'm saying is fuel economy sucks big ****, big time, but if you buy this car you're not to worried about the fuel bills for sure.

I've also been searching the usual places and did see the BLue S4 you've linked, but for some reason that company name rings a bell - something to do with replacement diesel engines from someone on the diesel forum I think, although may be mistaken - James may be able to put me straight on that one.

Anyway I found this one too, with less mileage, I just figured relacement seats would need to be allowed for as the colour is pretty bad
LINK

Wow that is errr green :confused:

You are thinking of the Heathrow Engine Company - supplied fjtwelve (amongst many others) - with a dodgy replacement engine. They are currently going through court/insolvency issues iirc. There is nothing I have seen to link them to this motor trader. Funny you should say it though, as when I first saw the advert I thought the exact same thing!

Ah.....didn't know that. Is that the same for the B5 S4????

Think that's made my mind up for me :icon_thumright:

Your other B6 vs B5 thread has had me thinking for days to be honest, as I still like the B5 shape and getting an older shape S4 or S6 would be a more affordable way for me to get more power, and as I do conciderably less miles now than I did or expected to be doing I was thinking maybe a diesel isn't for me anymore. I've also been searching the usual places and did see the BLue S4 you've linked, but for some reason that company name rings a bell - something to do with replacement diesel engines from someone on the diesel forum I think, although may be mistaken - James may be able to put me straight on that one.

LINK

Now that's green :puke2:

Regarding the company;

This is the company that are selling the car. Seems Sterling Cars have joined with a company known as Heathrow Diesels. I can, however, see no link for either of these companies to Heathrow Engines or indeed the engine recon or car parts trade. They appear to deal solely in the used car trade!

Well its the same as my previous car S4 B6 avant in moro blue, nice car, lacked real power IMHO but still very nice car, B5 S4 would be better if you want more power & more tunable as the B6 4.2 has limited tuning abilities, had mine revo'd & it improved it to drive but you only got an extra 20 horses & wasnt that noticeable power wise.

I'm sure the seller is the one someone mentioned ages ago who sold **** derv engines, I could be wrong but as you say name rings a bell to.

But I hope if you buy the 4.2 you have deep pockets cause you're looking at 16-18mpg on most journeys & taken from realtime driving for 2 years, 20 if you're lucky & no dont start another S4 B6 mpg argument, just what I have proved to a number of B6 S4 owners so far the real mpg of there car, lol

So what I'm saying is fuel economy sucks big ****, big time, but if you buy this car you're not to worried about the fuel bills for sure.

Agreed, similar stats.....however, it's the noise of the V8 that attracts me :eyebrows:

Fuel bills wise, with Gen4 LPG systems now on the open market, it's been a consideration of mine........probably work out at at least a third cheaper to run.

The search continues :hi:

Righto, back to my original plan of purchasing a pre '01 S4.

There's this one but a wee bit over priced IMHO. What should I be paying for a motor like this? It seems that sites like Honest John, WhatCar? and Parkers give figures closer to between £4,500 and £6,500. I am assuming those valuations don't included the added extra's though!

Come on guys, your experience has helped thus far ;)

I don't particularly mind paying a premium but don't wanna get ripped off and I'd want some left over greens for some minor mods ;)