Cambelt change

LiveWire

S3X
Reaction score
Im looking to save some money on a cambelt change,

I bought my S3 2 months ago and it has 52k on the clock, I was looking to get the cam belt changed because I dont know if it has been done!
The thing is I think it may have allready been changed and I dont want to waste money having it changed again if it allready has been done.

The reason i think it has been changed is because I found the rubber top
that is on the gearbox, that is removed when the cambelt would be changed (to check the flywheel is in the correct position) sat on top of the gearbox and I guess this would not pop off by itself?? so thats what makes me think it has been changed.

Is their anything else I can check ie; checking the bolts that hold the cambelt cover on to see if they look as if they have been removed before?? Or taking tha cover off and checking the cambelt for brand names?? I know most will say to get it changed to be safe but I dont realy have the cash.

Sorry for the essay but I wanted a few thoughts on this :respekt:

You should have the name of the last owner on the reg document. Try to get his number and give him a ring.Its no big deal to him as he doesn't own the car any more so you should get an honest answer if he's had it changed. I don't think it would have been due on the mileage its got at the moment, but they are also lifed so would be best to get it changed anyway.

You should have the name of the last owner on the reg document. Try to get his number and give him a ring.

True, I called 118118 but numbers not listed so I got the misses to write him a letter asking him to text or ring me to adv but I havent heard anything!! :sob:

I would have it changed, most people used to wait for 70-80K service, but it should be done then OR every 5 years. Once I learned this, I had mine done, and it comes to just over £400 as Audi are doing a standard price at the moment. I had 4 Rings do mine, and they were very reasonable, but it depends on where you live.

It may seem like wasting money, but run the numbers on how much it will cost if it goes!!!!