BIZZARE PROBLEM - HELP PLEASE :(

bigfoot0387

A3 Abuser
Reaction score
Hi guys i am new here and to start i am having serious trouble with my R reg 1998 1.9tdi a3

Ok heres the story when you go to pull off the left front wheel sticks on and makes a griding/winding sound.

After you are going it stops sticking/making the noise.

Once you stop/slow right down to a halt and pull off again it will do the exact same.

So far the following has been replaced.

Gearbox
Driveshaft
Brake pads
Brake disks

Any ideas as this is beginning to really get to me.

thanks

Ben

Have you checked the calipers, has the car been sitting for a while or is it in constant use, it could be that the one in question could have seized up or is sticking somehow, causing the grinding noise, also would be worth checking the bearings, although this would make more of a whining noise.

sounds like the diff to me, the 1.9tdi units are comman for this one of the rivets can cum out and jam in there so might be somethink to think about, have you tryed jacking the car up and moving the wheel by hand and any diffence in and out of gears?

we thought it was the diff too but like i said we have changed the gearbox and we still have the same problem.

i havent changed the calliper tho, could this be the issue?

Id check the caliper to make sure its not seized/rusted up, common for the back calipers todo it.

it's the ABS for sure. mine did EXACTLY the same when it dropped a wheel speed sensor on the left front wheel.

As you pulled away it'd sense a difference on that wheel, and randomly trigger the ABS pump braking on just that wheel. it often sounded like a grinding noise, with a strange kinda springy type winding up noise too.

Once you drove through it and got moving again it used to disappear. Wierdly enough, it never triggered the ABS warning light.

I replaced the wheel speed sensor and it solved the problem totally!

try covering the brake pedal slightly by heel/toeing as you pull away, and you might be able to feel the ABS triggering through the pedal, just to confirm.

prawn thats a great help, yeah it really is bizarre, where did u get your sensor from, any ideas on a price.

Also whe its making thart noise if u try putting your foot on the brake it feels like its vibrating on your foot (if you know what i mean) and the pedal does ot depress untill the noise has gone.

calipers defiantly worth looking into like dani said,
get some diagnostics done should pick up an abs fault

hey guys just to let you know iut was the abs sensor, ive now ordered a new one, to test i just removed it from the clip and it didnt grind anyore.

Thanks for your help! :)

Nice one mate, glad you got it sorted.