Water pump's gone again, to do timing belt aswell??

DodgeT

Reaction score
Car is 2001 A4 1.9tdi AWX engine, currently at 160k miles.

Had the timing belt, tensioners, pulleys etc. done at around 100k, 3 yrs ago.
Water pump went at around 110k, so had that replaced (one with plastic impellers) and left belts etc alone.

Now, pump I believe has gone again, same symptons as before, temp is fine when driving carefully, no hard acceleration etc, then as soon as you put your foot down, come to a hill ie. engine under load, temp shoots up.

So, question is, at 160k, do I replace the pump only, or replace the belt, and possibly tensioners etc at the same time, albeit 40k miles early?

Your thoughts please :cool:

Id change the belt for what it costs and whilst its apart!
your doing around 20k a year I take it and if you are keeping the motor for another 40k then you may aswell change it, least then you aint gotta worry about it for another 60-80k....which by then you may have already got rid!

Think I should bother with the pulleys / tensioner also??

Any recommendations also as to go metal or plastic impellers?

I thought the max recommended belt change interval for a 1.9 was 80k? If so it's due anyway at 160k. No way would I leave it 100k ..... :sadlike:

Whatever, I would be doing it now while the front is off as the timing kit is cheap compared to the labour. It is imperative to change all pulleys and bolts too, as one of them failing is equally as catastrophic as the belt breaking!

Metal fins too, plastic fins will break in time as you have just experienced.

In short YES change water pump, cambelt & tensioners and probably the thermostat as well....

I'm sure my service book says 100k, will have to check.

Got a pump from GSF, its a plastic one, do you have to specifically order a metal one, ie, are they a none std part?

Thanks for your help so far guys.

Yes service book will say around 100k but most never make it to a 100k before they snap but for the little it will cost to do the Cam belt it may save you a load more in the long run.

B6(8E2) A4

1.9l TDI pump injector from launch
up to MY 2003every 90.000 km (60.000 miles)+Tensioner
1,9L TDI pump injector(but not for engines with code BKE)from MY 2004every 120.000 km (80.000 miles)+Tensioner
1,9l TDI pump injector(only engines with code BKE)from MY 2004every 120.000 km (80.000 miles)+Tensioner every 240.000 km
2.5l V6 TDI from launch every 120.000 km (80.000 miles)+Toothed belt for camshaft, Toothed belt and tensioner for injection pump drive

Last edited:
OK, now getting the cambelt/tensioner kit also, seems rude not to at £70 + vat.

Strange how GSF don't do the stat, have to go main dealer....

Going to clean out the egr valve at the same time if I get chance, reckon it will be nice and blocked after 160k.

Well, did the job yesterday, it was the water pump as suspected.

The impellers hadnt properly come loose, at first it looked OK,wasn't turning on the spindle, all was intact, but then, if you span it and let the impellers move forward, they found a point where it just span on the shaft :no:.

Hopefully be good now for a fair few thousand miles.