'blue light' run to the airport.....

dieselfitter251

Blow ma own trumpet?
Reaction score
Mum was last for her £2 flight to Paris today, I (and stinky) had to toe the line at 5.55am... :gaehn: I learned two things:
1)My mum can get ready in less that 45minutes to get anywhere (about 9 mins this morning)
2)A 6th gear would have been a handy addition...:racer::ninja: !

Incidently. Made the flight :O) . I'm hoping for a mini Eiffel Tower reward! :rockwoot:

I'll join you in the 6th gear yes please club... I mean I doubt i'd be able to accelerate in 6th, but on a dead flat road, with a following wind, 90 would be sooo relaxing at 2500rpm

Torque? That's that stuff diesels have, innit? I've heard of that..... Not sure i've got any.

Its funny, i find the gears reallly long, yet it still cruises at a relatively high rpm...

It will do 70 in 2nd and over 100 in third, yet i'm sure sitting at a GPS certified 70 is over 3k.

Ooo. THere was a thread back in the diesel forum (I think) about speed vs rpm... I'm driving around at 65ish just now(when not blastign down to aitports), major difference in mpg... The sweet spot seems to be around 2500rpm start going above this to around 3k rpm and them mpg takes a hit. Popping in a 6 speed may be detrimental in terms of the power the wee 110 lump is chuckin out. Just have to get a 2.5!

So its a bit like an extra cog on top of the normal 5th then?

I find that dawn needs to downshift to 4th if she reaches a particularly steep motorway hill especially if her speed is too much below 70, or the car just doesnt pull very well. Presumably if the revs drop much below 2500ish then you drop out of boost and the engine makes no power at all!

So its a bit like an extra cog on top of the normal 5th then?

I find that dawn needs to downshift to 4th if she reaches a particularly steep motorway hill especially if her speed is too much below 70, or the car just doesnt pull very well. Presumably if the revs drop much below 2500ish then you drop out of boost and the engine makes no power at all!
The lowest she will chug is 2k, if i want to accelerate at all, its at least one cog swap. Even 5th is taller than than 5th would have been before due to the change in diff ratio. I ideally want to swap out the diff/pinion to a ratio between the old 5speed and what it is now

I dont think the gearing is all that differnent to our 5 speed.

Yours was maybe a bit closer becuase it was a NA box, but ours will do 70 in second and 100 in third give or take.

Wonder if the ratios are kicking around anywhere.