86' audi 5000cs turbo quattro

• Thread starter imported_WannaBFast
  • Start date
I

imported_WannaBFast

is it worth it? its 5spd, awd, turbo, abs, 4wheel disk

is there any aftermarket parts? if so where

and ill probablly pick it up since its in near immaculate condition... LMK

oh.. ive driven this particular one a few years back... never opened the throttle all the way... but has been hidden away in my dad's garage for the last 5-6 years /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

read the post on the 88 CS. you will get an idea of what can go wrong with them. advice to you is check that the car has a service history. even better if it is from the agents. you can then contact the agents and see if they have any problems on file for that specific car.

well my dad is a master mechanic that owns his own shop.. so if there are any problems with it whatsoever.. he would know.. he says it runs great.. im gonna drive it tonight... ill keep you posted...
does anyone know how much boost that particular motor can handle?

update: my dad handed me the keys to the car.. in all its glory... the brakes just need to be replaced, and rotors need to be turned.. other than that.. i see a interesting rally project in the mix.. altho i think it might be a tad to big for rally.. well then.. drifting it is

oh.. and my other car is a civic.. so reliability isnt really an issue right now

ok.. now after doing some research.. it looks like the audi 200 from 91 has almost the same motor.. except that its DOHC.. would it be fesible to swap? or are there too much extra electronics involved?

not sure about that? you probably find they used completely different control systems. I would imagine the multivavle version would need a more complex management system to handle the extra fuel/air/boost. I am not sure when audi started it, but i know more modern engines use variable vavle timing, with ecu control.

is your civic the old 1.6 vtec version with the lift around 7000rpm ?(we used to have one here with an output of 118kw)

actually its a 2001 with some goodies... its a 1.7L with vtec-e which has 1 intake valve until the vtec engages... its for fuel economy... it put out about 118hp a while back... its tuned to the t.. and its still slow..
so.. its too nice to drive all the time... yea i know its a friggin civic... but the audi will become my daily driver

the vtec we had here in the late 90's had a 16valve unit, once it hit around 6800/7000 rpm it would pull the inlet cam across onto a higher lobe also longer duration... hold that all the way through to 8200rpm... Toyota Corolla had a similar engine also reved through to 8200rpm, but was a 20valve unit with variable vavle timing... for some reason we were the only country in the world at that time to have the 4AGE 20valve motor in the corolla (the europeans had it in a much bigger car)... probably because we are all a bunch of maniac drivers... :)

the corolla had longer gearing than the vtec and would hit its peak torque around 5000rpm so it had a very long power band compared to the vtec. both makes were very reliable. when I sold mine it had 187000km's on it and all the dealers were telling me the motor was still tight! (i hate to think how other guys drove their cars....)

hahaha yea.. you are probablly thinking of teh DOHC VTEC... the SOHC vtec only revs up to 6800...

the sohc vtec hondas only changed the intake duration and lift, as opposed to the dohc where they would change both intake and exhaust valves... the one in my civic just opens the second intake valve... i have 16valves so 2 exhaust all the time, but 1 valve during the lower rpms, and switches over around 3k

hey does anyone know if this one has a blow off valve or soemthing? i have yet to fool around with it

does anyone happen to know what kinda brake fluid it uses? is it DOT 3 or DOT 4? the calipers are seized, so im getting rebuilt ones all around.. cause the parking brake doesnt work

ok, found out that it uses DOT4 brake fluid..

now.. does anyone know if theres a short shifter kit for my audi?

oh.. and heres my plans as of now...
new radiator(bead is not there anymore so it wont hold a hose on there... ending up in coolant loss...

and the calipers need to be replaced i think... but after maintainace stuff gets finished.. im gonna get bilstein shocks and h&r springs

in response to the blow off valve question i was also wondering.. i called dealerships and a performance auto place and both places said because it uses the internal wastegate you cannot run a blow off valve, which kind of confused me because i know the 1.8t vw's use an internal wastegate but can still use BOV's.. anyone have any idea why this is or know for sure if you can or cannot use a blow off valve or diverter valve without somehow disabling the wastegate