A4 3.0 FWD Weight issues

I

imported_Cheebs

I'm looking to buy an A4 in the near future. I've been comparing it (/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif if you can call it that since nothing is even close IMO) with others like the Volvo(s) and the BMW 330ci. I'm a little concerned about the power to weight ratio though. It seems most if not all audis tend to be on the chunky side. Anyone know why they tend to be heavier? Is it a sturdier frame maybe? Also, does anyone know if the weight will go down on the re-designed A4? Thanks.

Don't think I've ever seen weight go down on a re-design unless its radical like the Jag XJ going from steel to aluminium last year.

Not sure whether by FWD you mean front wheel drive or four wheel drive but the rough rule of thumb always use to be that Quattro added about 100kg over the front wheel version of the same car.

After you adjust for Quattro then an 3.0litre A4 is roughly the same weight as a 330i but the Audi engine is down about 10-15bhp. In the dry the equivalent BMW is normally quicker but in the wet Quattro is far superior.

For me I would never buy an Audi which is'nt Quattro. However, if you buy a Quattro beware...you are unlikely to go back to 2WD for a car you use all year round!

PS I've owned a 328i coupe before. Also have a powerful RWD convertible but won't touch it in the winter if its wet and/or below 5 celsius. Quattro is king!!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
AndrewRichmond said:
Don't think I've ever seen weight go down on a re-design unless its radical like the Jag XJ going from steel to aluminium last year.

Not sure whether by FWD you mean front wheel drive or four wheel drive but the rough rule of thumb always use to be that Quattro added about 100kg over the front wheel version of the same car.

After you adjust for Quattro then an 3.0litre A4 is roughly the same weight as a 330i but the Audi engine is down about 10-15bhp. In the dry the equivalent BMW is normally quicker but in the wet Quattro is far superior.

For me I would never buy an Audi which is'nt Quattro. However, if you buy a Quattro beware...you are unlikely to go back to 2WD for a car you use all year round!

PS I've owned a 328i coupe before. Also have a powerful RWD convertible but won't touch it in the winter if its wet and/or below 5 celsius. Quattro is king!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah sorry I meant Front Wheel Drive. I'm not sure if anyone but me is in the states but I'll try to get the universal car lingo down soon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Well that's the thing about the Quattro. I'd love to have it but it adds more weight and I've heard the 3.0 can tend to get sluggish with the Quattro. I think unless I can get a bargain on a 2005 or 2006 S4 I won't be able to afford it either so I'm in a little pickle. The Beemers are gonna be butt ugly after their own re-design IMO so they're out of the question. I don't like the styling of the C-Class Merc. Volvos are too bland for me. So what to do? I love Audis but I might be in a between levels (3.0 and S4). Anyone have any advice?

Depends if it rains much and/or you have a winter in the part of the US that you live in. Quattro is great in the UK but probably not nec in California.

I may be wrong but the revised A4 may see the 3.2 litre engine (as in the TT and A3) as an option which would probably be the one for you on power to weight criteria.

I guess that as you are in the US then you will probably be looking for an auto? Audis' IMHO lose lots of performance going over to the autobox unless you've got loads of power. Merc autos seem to be fast even in bottom end cars but in Audis' unless you have the performance models, the autos don't really work. You could always buy a manual but I guess you would never sell it on in the US? Best of luck whatever...

MO

quattro is much heavier, but much more sure footed if you go around corners, where as the lighter FWD feels speedier to accelerate.
the V6 is also front heavy compared to the smaller 1.8t which is almost as powerful as the 3.0, these are both handling comments.
overall weight also plays a part in acceleration
the NA 3.0 has a more linear acceleration,
the turbo has a different kind of power delivery..
i'd say have a go at each and see what suits the places you use it and the way you drive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
you'll may only find out what you want after you have bought, many of people on here have done the same kicked themselved after a few months of ownership as i have done in times before
you want the car for performance, i suggest you try different models? see which suits..

just MO

Ds

Ds

cool. Thanks guys. On the transmission question. Manuals are harder to sell here in the states plus I never learned to drive one (man that sounds bad). I guess that trying each one will give me my answer. Thanks again!