My S4 now finally on airride

I can kinda understand why people might want to change a car every year, get something different/new etc.

However, I dont think i can understand the point of spending (tens of??) thousands modifying a car you then sell on at a huge loss just to repeat the process?

Surely the point of modifying any vehicle is to make it exactly what you want from the car, rather than the standard off the shelf product. To finally reach that goal, and then sell it and buy a new car, is something i just cant get my head round.

You see it all over the modified car scene, but i've just never understood the point.

I've never had the money to be able to take a car as far as i want to take it, and the current A4 i dont really plan to modify at all, its just a stop gap for a few years until i can buy something with quattro, hence i've limited the changes to maintenance and running gear items and the odd styling part that i can transfer onto a new vehicle. But when i look at my landrover build for instance, its not something i'd ever want to sell? I'm building it for me. The idea of spending hours of my time, and thousands of my hard earned building the defender just the way i like it, to then sell it on, seems bonkers.

Maybe the difference is between having a project car thats a weekend toy or at least not a daily driver, and a project car that your driving everyday as your sole vehicle?

Thing is a lot of people enjoy the building process, once they've gone as far as they want with a car they get bored and want to start again. It does sound a bit loony considering the amount that gets spent, but most know that it'll never be recouped and except that, the building is the hobby, enjoy it for a bit, start again, trying t be new and inventive and first to do stuff, once you've done it it'll get copied, so you're no longer individual, some people don't like this and sell up. I spend a lot of time lookng at different cars, waiting fr the pice to do drop on various dream motors, when they get to the price one can afford, why not own another on the list of things you want to own?

Aragorn, Defender you say.........we had great fun messing about in an old Jimny last winter, my mate's just bought a lovely 90 which is in the process of being properly sorted. And after we went to LRO show in peterborough last weekend me and the missus are in the process of buying a Disco for some off road fun, something i've wanted to build for a while, some awesome quarries to lpay in round here, missing Yarwell this weekend but off to Tixover next weekend, I also happen to be a stone mason and often frequent various quarries in my job looking for stone!

I've got a V8 Disco that i've been sorting over the last month or two. Need to bring it down from scotland though, which will be its first big test. Its had a pile of welding for its MOT, new wheels and tyres (235/85 Insa Turbos), a new dizzy and rotor, leads and a new waterpump. Also replaced the clutch master and slave cylinders.

Hopefully i can get it down here and get out on some greenlanes and offroad sites round this way.

http://www.lr90.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=223

The 90 is a more longterm project. Bare chassis up build with an Audi V8 at its heart.

http://www.lr90.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=140

Progress has been slow though, mainly due to lack of money!

I missed peterborough, dawn was on call last weekend :(

Audi V8, I like it! Peterborough was good, bit of a trek for you though I'd think! I had to do some shopping for my friend, he bought his defender about a month or so ago, one of the biggest LRO shows 5 mins form our doorstep and the one weekend of the last 20 years he has to go into hospital.....yes you've guessed it! So I went with a list and his girlfriend to pay, kinda shopping i like!

3 door disco is just what we want, cant afford to run a V8 really though, cos it'll prob be her daily for going to the stables and stuff, so really gotta be a tdi, hopefully gonna go look at this very soon, it's pretty local and well built for what we want.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LAND-ROVER-DI...s_UK?hash=item1c0c698710&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Ye i might have to do something about the RV8, not really used it much yet, but if its silly on fuel i might have to look at selling it for a TDi, or finding a cheap TDi motor to swap in.

I've just moved to cleveleys in lancashire, so hopefully not quite as bad for getting to shows and suchlike!

Prob better off swapping in a tdi if you've got a decent solid chassis and body so many rot boxes about! Good for some deep wading action too!

Must be some good lanes around there, we've got a few quarries, and a couple of good lanes, but its pretty much flat round here! Damn the Fens!

Its a G plate, chassis seems solid though.

Boot floor needs patched, but i plated the sills up for the MOT.

I just wanted to get some cheap fun out of it, so i dont really want to start doing lots of work on it.

:respekt::hubbahubba:
air ride is the dogs b@llocks....

Cost me £1600..... a few quid I know, but all top quality products custom hand built and machined by Rayvern, the best in the country

Cost me £1600..... a few quid I know
And worth every penny IMO
If I had the money my car would deffo be on air ride instead of coilies, just couldnt justify the cost:sign_unfair:

thats a good price for the amount of kit you have , have they got an off the shelf kit now?

I'd imagine they'd be able to duplicate it, providing they kept the drawings and details of the rear struts, the fronts are simple being the same as fwds, passats and a6s

What's next then bud?

Given that it's got the extra air-ride and Bentley rims on, it effectively makes this a Mint S4 for just £6k!!! Cheap for what it is.

Not sure whats next to be honest, I'm leaning towards another evo 6, maybe a P1, more track based drive like a loon car! Possibly an E39 M5, mmmmmm V8! Big power skyline. Or even something newer like a Golf 5 gti, mk 4 r32, Megane sport has even crossed my mind. But most probably an evo 6, I sold my last one when I really didnt want to, was house buying time, I was nowhere near finished enjoying it, the only car I've had that I jumped in purely for a drive. Also the missus loves em, and as she's buying our offroad toy to play in I should keep her happy a bit too!

Good to see you at Players, great show!

Yeah, I thoroughly enjoyed it on Sunday. Well worth the 4.30am start and the 350 miles! Definitely up for it again next year. Your car was looking the nuts!

E39 M5 gets the vote from me!

hi , i know this is the b5 forum . but ended up coming across it after googling airride for my car. By chance where did u get your airride from and how much. Will they have for a b7 model. please email me at jaceyquanvie@hotmail.com cheers