Luggage compartment lights

a3rom

Reaction score
hi, i just purchased an 2001 (51) a3 3 door, noticed the boot lights dont work, either of the 2, checked fuse (38) 10amp has power, when i check on the bulb holder no power, bulbs seem ok as well.

tried with ignition on, ignition off, headlights on, head lights off, all the other lights work, rear roof front roof, glove box, door lights.

can someone please advise what to check next?

thanks Romil

switch?.
most likely part of the latch.

switch- part of latch

1) is it something i can repair or i have to buy new part
2) do you have a part number/price?
3) how do i get to it?
4) is there a way to confirm it is switch?

thanks Rom

..that was just a guess... kind of a stab in the dark.
ill let you know when my workshop manual shows up,
*where it is,
*if its repairable etc.

thanks mate i'd really appriciate that, apart from this 1 thing the car is perfect in every way

1st thing check fuse and bulbs.

if its ok then open the boot remove plastic cover;
2 screws in handle then go around the panel, pulling it away, its really tight feels like it will break but it wont.

remove the black cover on the latch and white cover where the barrel goes.

spray with contact switch cleaner from maplin and with wd40, spray a bit, work the lock open close open close. spray more... work the lock. check it works now.
if it does drwn it in contact cleaner and wd40. put covers back on, check it works.

repeat if you need to again.

hth

guys open your boot if the dash says the boot is open then you know the latch is ok if it says its shut you need a new latch and should also fix the lights

the latch is not at fault, its the micro switch in the latch that tells the lights to come on and off, also tell the dash if its open or not, also links to the alarm, if its opened by some1 who shouldn't, spraying like I told you will help release the micro switch as its stuck in closed position.

but you cant get the switch seperate you need a latch if the lubricating doesnt work which in most cases doesnt or wont last long

true, but its worked for me on the boot and passenger side door, and its a lot quicker and cheaper then changing the latch, for a few quid its deffo worth a go first, mines been fine for a couple of months now and still got loads of spray left, upto you, but do keep in mind if it dont work then your looking at a new latch was has a built in micro switch, which cant be changed on its own.

if you dont get any joy first time round spray more and try again, its just a case of unsticking the switch, forgot to say before the straw that comes with the can is really useful for this task as you can get right into the latch.

let us know how you get on
hth