big knocking noise

raver100

Reaction score
2.8 30v quattro 1998

hi when i reverse with some lock on sometimes there is an almighty bang noise from under the car,someone before my replaced all the drive shafts and i am sure the front diff is ok. would the torsen centre diff cause this to happen . i have also noticed on hard acceleration it feels lumpy from the rear of the car.

thanks dave.

sounds like it could be an engine mount as for the rear end being lumpy then it could be rear anti roll bar bushes perished, mine feels a bit wayward on the rear when i come home from work there is a slight hill bearing left and i can feel the rear end wanting to twitch, feels a bit like body twist, dont know if this is a charicteristic of the car or mine are on the way out too

found the problem the torsen diff is ****** any one know where i can get a replacement?

it is listed as a seperate part in the audi parts catalog 01A409751d i have got it out of the gear box and some "spares" have been floating around in the gears!

It was the reason my speedo stopped working all the swarf had colleted around the magnets on the speedo sender! ( sorry this happened before the banging and i fixed it by cleaning the sender.

Well ye, it is a seperate component, but no-ones going to strip down a good tranny to sell you the diff....

Plus you dont know what other damage has happened to the tranny internals with all the bits of crap floating around.

Just buy another box and drop it in complete.

just brought complete running gear on ebay for £240.00 delivered gear box, prop, rear diff and all drive shafts long weekend ahead!

replaced gear box and now this one has a whine in first , any one out there has got a gear box for a 98 2.8 quattro as its all getting a bit silly

thanks dave.