Just had Sky + installed

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
So simple, so good, so why did I wait?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

Because of the "money for old rope" £10/month additional subscription perhaps?

[ QUOTE ]
AndyMac said:
Because of the "money for old rope" £10/month additional subscription perhaps?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I guess you're right. Stil, it's in now, and it has hooked straight up to the existing distribution system to the rest of the house, so I can record & view digitally on four different TVs

They knocked the £10 surcharge on the head more than a year ago so long as you subscribe to at least one premium channel. We have had it for ever it's great and you have been able to record two channels since before Christmas.

200 notes for a hard disk recorder, bargain!

[ QUOTE ]
AndyMac said:
Jeff, can you still use your old box to give you a third viewing option?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes and no. The Sky+ box has two incoming signal feeds, so you can watch channel A & record channel B (or record both) at the same time, but you can still only send one signal out to the various TVs. If I want to watch 2 channels on different TVs at the same time, I can hook up the old box to one of the other TVs, but I then have to pay another £10 per month for a second subscription.

The Sky+ is installed with a quad LNB so you could hook up two additional boxes, you pay £10 a month for each additional card but I think you can now get freeview cards for £20 from Sky if not yet they'll be out in October, also anyone thinking of getting Sky+ at the moment it may be better to wait as I have a new test box with a bigger hard drive and USB which should be out shortly after testing

Update, the new box will be available as an upgrade from October for £399 new subs will still receive the 40 gig box which I think you can add your own 250gig drive to

[ QUOTE ]
jdp1962 said:
40 gig is more than enough for me. That's 20 hours of programmes. Apart from live sport, I don't watch 20 hours of TV in a week.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here Jeff, apart from the odd memorable football game I have nothing else saved and being a Hibernian supporter I have Hibs beating Celtic and Rangers last season and I don't think I'm going to have much more use for it for a long time