Property Management ?

JohnboyC

Reaction score
Hey - advice needed !

I have a 2nd house that I rent out - its 300 miles awy from me to I have to rely on a Letting Agent Property Management Company to do any maintenance.

At the last inspection there was a small leak reported around the Hot Water tank in the airing cupboard. Being a good landlord and wanting to keep my property in A1 condition I instructed my Letting Agent to get the problem sorted immediately - I was quoted £200 + VAT to get it done.

Today major panic from the tenant who has advised water leaking really badly after the Letting Agent contractor had left.

I have British Gas Homecare 200 - and got British Gas round to get it sorted ASAP (I completely forgot that the Homecare 200 policy covered a load of other bits - duh !) . They found the replacement parts done up hand tight. System still not working - found a new valve had been put in the wrong way round....

Tenant left with damp ceiling, water logged carpets .....and I am ****** fuming !

What action do I take - other than buying a gun and shooting someone.

Should I pay the original contractor ? Is the contractor liable for damage caused ?

Last edited:
The original contractor is liable for the bad repair and any damage caused. If you did not assign him then go through the letting agent who did.
As for withholding payment its a grey area, you entered into a contract with him and unless there are retentions in the contract you will probably be in breech of it by not paying him.

Get a copy of the report from British Gas and see a solicitor.

The letting agent should only be using contractors who have there own public liability insurance, the work he carried out showed his incompetence and therefore a claim should be made on his insurance.

Fitting valves round the wrong way just adds to his Frank Spencer routine.

It also makes you wonder what kind of approved contractors the letting agent is using, and what screening process they use.

Regards,

Dan.

Will let you know the outcome......when I wrote to teh letting agents, I was so annoyed I was going to take it up to the Chairman of the company if I had to !