A3 Sold

jb111s

Reaction score
Well I finally sold my A3. Got lots of interest but an unbelievable amount of idiots trying to come round immediatley with cash offers in the middle of the night or putting insulting offers forward. It seems any courtesy or politeness has gone out of car buying these days with people just expecting to turn up at any time, dictate what they pay & not even get the car checked over properly.

Sold to a very nice couple, who are going to appreciate & look after the car, as would hate to see it abused after all the effort I put into it.

Thanks to everyone for all their help, really great community here & all very helpful with advice for all the mods I did to my car.

I've now got a Golf MK6 for the miles & about to pickup a Lotus Elise again for the smiles!

If anybody is after a Thule Roof rack for an A3 3 door PM me as I've got one gathering dust in the garage ;)

All the best, enjoy your cars & thanks again!

Last edited:
Where did you advertise?? Only ever sold 1 car privately so I'm surprised at your post!

Sold on pistonheads. Basically became inundated by people ringing who seemed to think it was fine to ring up at 10:30 at night and come round immediatley with cash.

Sorry, but when talking about large amounts of cash & hearing horror stories about people getting robbed etc then it doesn't seem right.

Also how can you check over a car properly in the dark ?

Yeah, that's why I held out. I agreed with one guy & expecting to sell the next day early evening then got him ring 30 mins later saying he was on his way & what was my address!!

Had a full on argument practically telling him I wasn't selling to an unknown person in the middle of the night for cash. He honestly didn't understand the problem or my concerns.

Then agreed a price with another, came round and viewed, all as said, couldn't find any faults & then did the whole "I've only got 7k cash, take it or leave it". Nearly got into a fight with him!

When I sell a car I want the buyer to be happy, let them check it over & be 100% if only to make sure there's no problems afterwards.

Glad you was able to sell your car and gone to a good home. Any photos of the new cars? Gonna miss your A3? How much you sell her for?

getting this myself with my cooper s loads of dreamers and insulting people out there

I advertised a Seat Arosa on pistonheads for £1000. A guy rang and asked to see it, sounded genuine, gave him my address and as agreed he turned up on a sat morning. He was happy with the car then offered £800 cash, when I said no he was seriously miffed and started kicking off! He had driven 250 miles and all that jibba jabba to see it so i said 950 take it or leave it and shut my front door on him. Off he went swearing at me because I wouldnt accept his 800. Not my fault he drove 250 miles knowing he didnt have enough cash..........sold it 3 days later for 950!!

Don't like the sounds of Piston Heads given what I have read above....

Have only ever sold previous cars through Autotrader and eBAY.

Also, if anyone was prepared to pay cash, I would insist they paid it into my account over the counter directly to a bank cashier. I would simply witness the transaction and I'm sure the beady eyes of the cashier would've sniffed anything suspicious (duff notes etc). Only after this would I comptemplate releasing keys\reg doc's. Failing a cash transcation money would have to be CHAPS.

Had a few scammers approach me in the past when selling cars but that's another story altogether.

Cheers,

KKP