Silly Question Regarding Turbo

Seifer780

Reaction score
Would turning down the turbo all the way HURT the vehicle at all besides obviously losing acceleration and basically making it NA? My theory is to decrease fuel consumption say on the freeway and stuff.

idk if this is a bad idea or not, hence why I ask. There are no stupid questions. Except "I didn't ask and now its broke, how do I fix??"

I will try to answer easiest way possible

Have you ever driven not turbocharged diesel engine? For example VWs SDI?
If you didn't, let me tell you that it is awful to drive, no acceleration at all, and the only thing that is good is diesel consumption.

Now, in a turbocharged engine, pressure ratio is lower than N/A engine. It is that way because turbocharger adds pressure to engine (easiest way to explain). When you turn you turbocharger boost to minimum (or for example take turbo off) you will not have even power of NA engine. Don't think it will have lower consumption as well. It might be even higher.
Bassically, DON'T!!

If you want to lower consumption on freeway, keep your revs under 2k rpm because higher than that your turbocharger kicks in

You will probably increase the fuel consumption if you shut the boost off as the engine will be underpowered and labour more. You would have to give it more throttle to get any where, i might be talking ******** it's just my opinion. Your best bet would be to get an economy remap you would get slightly more power but better fuel consumption.

get an economy map :) people research and play with these settings a lot to find a really good eco map, and in some cases can increase mpg by as much as 10mpg or so, bout 6-7 in imp gals.

Well thank you all, that answers some of my questions.

Does anyone have a stock fuel map for an A4 B6 1.8T 150bhp? Curious Tech George over here :p I'm a PWE (PerformanceWithEconomy) freak over here. At 3,600 RPM's, I am going 80 MPH (134 KM) and get an average of 28 MPG or so.

113 miles at about 3/4ths of a tank left
220 miles at about 1/2 tank left
etc lol

Seifer - only just seen your full details (were those there before?!?): you're based in the US, so it that car a petrol (gasoline) or diesel?

Most PWE people here will be running diesels - hence Slepy's "have you ever driven an SDI" question... we'd all assumed you were runnign a TDI!

Check with the Chip'N'Spin guys - given you're not local, they're not going to get you to bring your car in for a rolling road session so they MIGHT even furnish you with one... failing that, somebody here might have a map knocking around - just bear in mind that most EU maps will be for 98 octane fuel... and our MPG claims will be higher 'cos there's only about 3.8 litres in a US gal, as opposed to 4.5 litres per imperial gallon. We still talk the same bhp/miles/mph though, no converting required there ;)

I think you should be able to get about 160-175bhp and still have improved fuel economy.

PS - i like the liberal editting of that thread!! Nuff said - it was entertaining, but just a little off topic and a little too retro...

Last edited:
*** Off topic alert ***

I've just tuned in for the next enthralling episode of this thread only to find that the fun stuff has been removed.....

Good while it lasted - had me PMLing for hours

The best Audi Forum by far and I used to live on the TT Forum back in the good old days of my Mk1 TT ownership :)

I didnt see then need for a note, it was so off on a tangent that it was unbelieveable.

As the OPs question was almost answered i thought it prudent to "trim the fat" away as it were.

However i feel that there may be some more to come from those obviously less understanding in all things technical.......

Im gonna miss the Nob......i mean.......noob........and Noob..............................................

yep, Mods have got rid of all the silly comments made by the guy from the Canada

Guys back on topic, have you tried removing your intercoolers to raise the fuel and air temp?

this guy i know said it worked on this datsun hes building.

was funny he must have been about 18, glad the threads back on track

Haha, I found that whole thing quite amusing. Yes, I am running a petrol and I believe that the 1.8 did NOT come in diesel. At least in the US, though I may be mistaken.

Seifer - just get an economy map - if anything it actually kicks the turbo in EARLIER, but will result in being able to change up earlier.

1.9TDI and 1.8T engine are physically completely different (aside from the obvious absence of sparkplugs, etc in the TDI)... they release the 1.9TDI, but they're just not very popular due to unleaded being so cheap in the US: in the UK we're paying about $9/gal for either fuel, so getting higher fuel economy is a LOT more important... a 1.9TDI with mixed driving will get 700+ miles per tank - a friend with a FWD 1.9TDI manages to get over 800 miles per tank on his!

Unless it is all motorway driving, I struggle to get over 500miles per tank on mine, normally majority is town (traffic) driving, so around 400miles before I get the warning light... but then mine is a big heavy Quattro V6 with 325lb/ft torque :eyebrows:

Yeah, I can see how diesel would be a big advantage over in the UK. Fuel is about 2.91 or so per US Gallon (91 Octane). Diesel is actually not very much more, but hey! :D

Could you tell me a bit more about what an "economy map" does as far as what it does to the ECU, what its telling the engine, and WHY this is beneficial, say for fuel economy, performance, or both? I am just trying to understand everything so I don't have any misunderstandings.

guys, please feel free to step in and correct me here: the "economy map" usually gets the turbo to spool up at lower revs and is more sensitive to changes in throttle - this means that there is more low and mid-range torque available - yes, there is the potential to you will use a little more fuel at any given rev's in the lower end of the rev-range, however if you are disciplined about it, it will allow you to change up MUCH sooner and so your will be using less fuel at any given speed. If you need to accelerate, the turbo will spin up (and increase fuel consumption slightly when it does so), but it is a far more efficient way of doing it than having to change down.

edit: we're paying about US$4.50-US$5 per gal(US) in tax alone! Tax on diesel is higher than gasoline as it hit the truckers more...

Last edited:
Ouch, that sounds like no fun at all!! :(
As far as the economy map you are describing, that sounds fabulous! about 3750 (80 MPH) or so is where I do my freeway cruising and don't really need gobs of torque and power. Just enough to maintain speed, ya know?