Problems with Audi Concert radio.

lloydsta101

Reaction score
Hi there,

I purchased my 2000 plate S3 just under a month ago and at the time I didn't have a radio code for it so it just displayed 'SAFE'. About a week ago I decided to have it decoded and have now put it in the code and unlocked it.

When I first got it going though, it kept doing what I can only describe as re-starting itself. When it comes back on though, it reverts back to whatever was playing before it was 're-started'. So say I turned it on, then changed the mode from CD to radio... when it 're-starts', it will go back to the CD again. I tried amending a few settings, like Bass etc. to see if these revert back as well and they do!

There's no warning when it's going to happen, you just hear a 'pop' come out of the speakers and then 'BOSE' is displayed. It can happen as soon as it's turned on, or after 30 seconds of having it running... and there's no limit of times to how often it can happen while using it, sometimes 3-4 times in a row!

Is this a dodgy wiring problem, or could it be something else? I've had all the wires/clips out the back and put them all back in firmly, and made sure everything looks as it should (i.e. nothing broken/damaged). I can't think what else could be causing it?

Thanks for any help/ideas people can come up with! :)

No one has any clue on this one then? Looks like it's going to be a new head unit for me. :ermm:

Other than the volume problem with these head units, has anyone heard of any other problems with them? As I don't want to replace it with another of the same and have more problems.

Was there a different head unit in there before?

Sounds like the wire which records the memory isn't in the right place or hasn't been put back in properly. Before buying a new unit, i'd suggest taking it to a car audio shop and asking them to have a look at it.

I fitted a aftermarket head unit the other day and had the same problem, turns out it was the power supply wiring, i had to try a few different confgurations from a constant, switched and variable power supply. it was a yellow and red wire on the lead if that helps, but i'm pretty certain its a wiring problem

Sounds like someones been stirring the wiring with a spade to me.

The BOSE systems a bit of a pain to be honest and if messed about with in the past (ie aftermarket unit put in).... it'll be a sod to put right.

Cheers for the replies. :thumbsup:

The bloke I bought it from says that this was the original head unit that came with the car, but... he did have an aftermarket one put in while he owned the car!

What can I do to try and put it right again? Or will it need to be looked at by someone at an audio shop?

You need to pull the HU and take a good quality pic of the wiring and post on here. As the previous owner went aftermarket he would have had to have had all sorts of adapters installed to get it working with the Bose system as well as swapping over the perm & ignition on lives. So there's a good chance that the wiring has been butchered or theres a loose connection that's not obvious. The permanent live is obviously OK as it's remembering all your presets and mode you were previously in, so either the ignition on live is intermittant or the remote on to the Bose amp is shorting out intermittantly as this would cause the HU to reboot. The pop you get seems to suggest the latter as this wouldn't happen if the ignition on gets interrupted. Post a pic, it's will be an easy DIY fix.

Will do, I'll try and take one this morning and get it posted for you to have a look!

Cheers, Sean.

Got a picture of the wires now... hope it's clear enough!

(Click on the above for bigger picture.)

:)

Yes. Looks totally untouched, which is good, but also bad as there's no scope for a wiring fault. Is the HU reset anything to do with bumps in the road or will it do it at a standstill?
Maybe check the connector on the Bose amp in the boot, also was the brown earth cable (just out of shot) connected to the HU chassis?

Hmm, well at least I haven't got to worry about the wires being a mess then. No, it can happen at any time... sometimes, 3-4 times after just being started up. It's doing it less frequently now but still seems to have a problem remembering changes.

For instance, I've just come back from somewhere and was listening to a CD. But then when I turned the ignition back off and then back on again 10 minutes later, it was back on the radio again... because that's what it was on last time it 're-started' itself.

Very very odd... and yes the brown earth cable was connected, just didn't take it in the picture as I could see it was untouched.

yeah cant see anything that looks changable for you to alter the power supply, maybe you could take it to the stealers and try and get an idea out of one of them without booking it in and paying, then once you know the fault you can try do it yourself.

Hmm, yeah if no one has any other ideas then that's what I might have to do. I'm going to have a quick look at the Bose Amp in the boot as suggested, but if no joy then I'll take it down the local Audi Dealers and see if I can steal some information from them without actually paying. :moa: