Differences please?

Bong Water

In two minds
Reaction score
Can someone explain the difference between the 190 and 163 quattro's?

I know the 190 is newer but what differences are there to the engine and transmission?

The 163's seem to be a fair bit cheaper you see

Cheers

I'll give you a few differences that I know of.
The 190ps a4 is the one with the red T on it's *** so power obviously, bigger injectors, double instead of single intercoolers, I read some time ago that some other engine parts have been strengthend to cope with the extra power.
The turbo and ECU may be different but i'm not sure.
Some other guys like Docurley may know of other more technical differences.

So its not just the map then, damn.

Ok thanks for the info

defintely not jsut the map.... definitely double intercoolers (same as a TT225) rather htan the single.... I think the engine internals are the same, but bigger injectors and possibly a higher spec clutch?

The 190bhp has the K04 turbo, i am pretty sure the 163 runs the K03 turbo, a chipped 163 could be a good bet if the government get their way and tax the 190 quattro (226 g/km) at over £420 a year, although we are safe at the moment, you never know!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats a good point, which post March 01 quattro's will be affected with these increases?

I try not to but its only going to continue to go up and seeing as though you have a diesel it doesnt affect you as much

£420 a year for a 1.8 is just crazy

Any vehicle with a co2 figure over 225 g/km COULD end up paying £420 ish a year, this affects cars from march 2001 although the government have put cars with over this figure and manufactured BEFORE march 2006 in band K (£210) for the time being, i just hope it stays there as my 1.8T quattro is 226g/km DOH, only 1 over. All audi TT's after 2001 will be affected, see the official figures for proper levels, but am pretty sure it's just the 1.8T QUATTROS 190 BHP and obviously the S4 / rs4 that may be affected. Basically if its over 225g/km and registered after 2001 it COULD cost you. I took the gamble, and so far its paid off, i got my quattro really cheap because the owner thought the tax was going to go through the roof, it has'nt yet.

The government backtracked (as usual) on the £420 road tax issue and we wont have to pay that much as it applies now to cars registerd after some time in 2006.
The most we will pay is I think £235.:moa:

Any vehicle with a co2 figure over 225 g/km COULD end up paying £420 ish a year, this affects cars from march 2001 although the government have put cars with over this figure and manufactured BEFORE march 2006 in band K (£210) for the time being, i just hope it stays there as my 1.8T quattro is 226g/km DOH, only 1 over. All audi TT's after 2001 will be affected, see the official figures for proper levels, but am pretty sure it's just the 1.8T QUATTROS 190 BHP and obviously the S4 / rs4 that may be affected. Basically if its over 225g/km and registered after 2001 it COULD cost you. I took the gamble, and so far its paid off, i got my quattro really cheap because the owner thought the tax was going to go through the roof, it has'nt yet.

Thanks for that, I wasnt aware about the 2006 part

Bong... also bear in mind that 250bhp from a 1.8T is pretty craz ;)

I dont know what you mean, its the 190 I was curious about

The government backtracked (as usual) on the £420 road tax issue and we wont have to pay that much as it applies now to cars registerd after some time in 2006.
The most we will pay is I think £235.:moa:

If you look at the Governments web site thingy that details all this, it only states April 2009 to April 2010 indicating anything can happen after April 2010

Thats how I read it anyway

Confused!?

Audi A4 Saloon (05-08)
1.8T quattro 4d

On Parkers it says its tax band K so (221-223k/gm)

Last edited: