Main Beam Switch

gavinsky23

Reaction score
Hi

This is my first post. I've been on here looking for a few weeks as I've just bought a '97 A4 Avant 1.8T Sport.

I tried searching but can't find what I'm after.

My main beam works when I pull the stalk towards me (i.e. flash the light) but when I push it away, it clicks and my dipped lights go out rather than the main beam go on. The blue indicator illuminates when I flash the lights but not when I try to put them permanently.

It has just failed it's MOT for this.

Is this a simple fix, possibly dirt? Or is it a case of disconnecting the airbag, removing the 'wheel and changing the switch. (I presume that the switch is fairly expensive)

Any info would be much appreciated!

If its the switch, i've got one in the garage.

I'd have to check the wiring diagrams to see if theres a relay or anything in the mix.

That'd be great. Is there an easy way to check the switch?

I read in the manual that if you take the 'wheel off you have to replace the retaining screws for the airbag. Is this true or can you reuse with thread lock or something?

I just reused them.

To check the switch you'd need to see what the wiring does. IE the dip dropping out might mean the switch is fine.

Thanks for the help guys. I took it apart yesterday and tested the switch and it was faulty. I took it to bits and gave it a thorough clean and rebuilt it.

All seems to work fine now! :)