Timing belt damper

Matt82

Reaction score
what is its function and how does it work?

i want to know if its actually neceassary to replace this when i do the cambelt

Well although its called a damper, it is the actual tensioner.

Most cars use a spring loaded pulley, Audi use these hydraulic "dampers" instead.

I would say it should be changed. The kit is about £110 without it and £180 with, and for the sake of £70 quid you dont want to ping the engine.

I've just baught one for the turbo, luckily i managed to buy one from ebay for 40quid new.

I'd maybe risk it if it was on short change intervals, and only doing the tensioner every other change, but with no history i'd want it doing.

see, on my porsche 928, it has a tensioner which is hydraulically damped and i had to replace the inner seals etc. you screw in at the bottom to push tension and the oil filled part does the damping

on the audi one i expect a big spring does the tensioning and there doesnt appear to be any external rubber parts to wear/perish

im not convinced that it needs to be changed tbh, esp if i end up putting an inferior febi item on

i wonder how much the dealer wants

i think, based on the seals perishing, its going to be worth changing the damper too

more money

When I changed the tensioner on my 1.8T I was a little worried that the new one was completely different to the original. It seems Audi kept changing the design. Don't be put off if the replacement looks nothing like the original!

It fitted fine, and that was 13k ago now. Seems Ok!

thats good to know, considering its gonna cost over a ton from audi..