B7 A4 2.0T sline (2WD or Quattro) Help!!

howardpayne@hotmail.co.uk

Reaction score
Hi All

I am new to this forum so sorry if these questions have been asked before!!

I am just about to purchase an A4 (B7) 2.0T Sline saloon 2wd or Quattro.
I am unsure which to go for.

I currently have a Golf gti with same engine which is running a stage 1 Revo (255 bhp) Loved the car but always had trouble putting the power down to the road in anthing other than very dry warm conditions.

I am going revo the A4 and want to go for the quattro but not sure if the extra weight will kill the performence. However if i go for the 2wd version will i have the same problem as the golf with wheel spin 1st 2nd 3rd. Does anyone have any experience or advise with this????

Also if i do go for the Quattro and decide to go beond stage 1 revo are the clutches good enough to take the power. I had to have the boost turned down slightly on the golf as it was making the cluch slip occasionally.

Thanks in advance for any help boys n girls!!

Howard

I've got a Quattro and I'd recommend it - stage one should be no problem with the standard clutch.

My previous 2003 A4 was FWD. The Quattro is a bit more sure-footed than the FWD which will understeer slightly more as you'd expect.

Hi

Thank you for the advise...

Are you running a revo or similar on your Quattro? How does it drive?. So you think the quattro would be quicker car with the revo due to extra traction. I take it that the fwd would have same issue as my golf with putting the power down?

Thanks agian!!

I have a 2008 (B7) 2.0TFSI S-Line Special Edition Cabriolet, which is 2WD (they didn't do a quattro version of this spec/model/engine combination). In dry conditions, the power matches the level of grip on acceleration quite well, however, in the wet or even damp conditions, it is another story. The car really struggles to get the power down, and that is with the standard power output (well, maybe a bit more as I have a Milltek cat-back exhaust). In these conditions, the traction control light seems to be on most of the time!

To put it into context, our other car is a 2006 (C6) A6 3.0TDI S-Line Quattro, which has more power, and lots more torque than the A4. Apart from when I was having some fun in the snow last winter, I have never seen the traction control light come on, even in very wet conditions. However, the A6 is a tiptronic, whereas the A4 is manual, so that makes a big difference too.

I've been really tempted to go for a remap on the A4 (perhaps up to 255bhp), but the only thing that puts me off is wet-weather traction.

It's a tough call...the quattro would certainly be better away from a standing start in the wet, especially with a remap installed, but once into 3rd gear (or away from a standstill in the dry) my 2WD car pulls beautifully, and benefits from not having to carry the additional weight of the quattro system, combined with the inevitable additional transmission-related power losses.

Maybe the handling of the quattro car would be better on twisty roads in the wet, but in all honesty, the real-world difference (that you would notice on your everyday commute) is not going to show much.

Personally, I think the bottom line is that if you intend to keep the car standard, then go for the 2WD option, as I believe the lighter weight and subsequent additional performance above 25-30mph outweighs the struggle to get the car off the line in the wet. However, if you're going to upgrade the car with a remap, then I'd be tempted to go for the quattro...otherwise you're going to be spending a lot of time spinning the wheels, and costing yourself a fortune in front tyres!

Hi

Thanks for the responce!!!

I totally agree with your comments. However I'm now left with a dilema.

firstly I will definatlfey be going for the revo again as aside from the off the line traction issues It totally transformed the mid range performance in my golf gti.

However If I opt for the A4 quattro I will get off the mark with much less fuss in the wet but then will sacrifice mid range pull due to extra weight and transmission power loss not mentioning that even in 2wd the A4 is heavier than the golf.

My days of racing off the lights are well behind me but I still want the car to put a smile on my face when if feel the need. I love the midrange grunt in my golf and would hate to lose that by going for the quattro.

Has anyone on here remapped the 2wd 2.0T?? How does it perform??

Thank you agian for the responce. Still very undecided. Aaaaargh!!!

Still very unsure... Has anyone on here remapped this car as 2wd??? How does it drive???

Thanks agian for your responce, much appreciated

Last edited:
Mine is a 2wd avant remapped to approx 250 bhp 1st is problem in anything other than perfect conditions but once rolling the perfomance is awsome !
I would however personaly prefer the quattro if I was to buy another as trying to get all that power and torque down exiting corners can take a very delicate touch !

I would definitely go for the quattro, mid range performance is not affected at all compared to the 2wd. Even with a standard engine and Michelin PS2's I have the traction control light come on and with yours revo'd it must be getting up to similar torque to mine. The speed you would get off line would definitely compensate for the loss of mid range some people have mentioned, even in the dry. Think about, how often do we get "perfect" conditions in this country!

I have the 2wd special edition (220hp) and am considering getting it remapped so would welcome any comments from anyone who has had it done.

Re the wheel spin debate then yes mine spins in 1st and 2nd in the wet but pretty much ok in the dry, if the tyres are nearing the end of their life and on a very wet road you do get it in 3rd gear as well. From experience of previous 4wd drive cars I've had (non-Audi's) they are more fun and secure at exiting wet roundabouts and at initial take etc but it'll make a fair dint in fuel economy, friend went from the 2wd 170 tdi to a quatrro version and is getting at least 5 mpg worse. Better car grip wise though!

I have the 2wd special edition (220hp) and am considering getting it remapped so would welcome any comments from anyone who has had it done.

Didn't realise they did a non-quattro Special Edition...?!

I'm going to get my Quattro Special Edition chipped at some point, but with 217bhp as standard (220PS) I'm in no rush just yet.

Alright Chaps

Thank you for all the input so far this is just the feedback i needed.

Looking at all of you opinions its lookng like the Quattro is the lear car of choice when considereing mods such as revo remap.

The only consern i now have is if the cluch is up for the job in the quattro. Where as in the 2wd version the wheels will spin when too much power is applied the quattro will put the power down to the road and move the car on. Obviously this will put move pressure on the clutch??

What to you all think?? My god i think I'm turning in to an anorak, sorry just a really important decision!!

Ideally it would be good to get feedback from anyone with a quatrro with a remap.

Thanks agian in advance

I am ready for a remap on mine and I will not be touching the clutch, bearing in mind a 3.0 V6tdi will produce a mountain of torque. Manufacturers always build a safety margin into clutches to cope with towing (I know vauxhall was 70%, so assume audi's will be similar) so your clutch should be fine.
If you are still in doubt, talk to Revo, they will know better than anyone.