Help! RNS-E & Kufatec BT retrofit/SDS issues

skegby

Reaction score
I picked up an '06 A4 Cab 2.0T FSI last Sunday in Loughborough and proceeded straight to Autotronics in Leicester to get an RNS-E and Kufatec bluetooth fitted. All looked good at the time but halfway home the nav flashed up the dreaded disc unreadable error. They are sending me a new 2009 nav disc to try as i'm in Guildford so can't go back to the shop. Having trawled the t'internet i've got a few concerns but no real answers:

Bluetooth works and get phonebook and dialled numbers in the DIS but the SDS button gives me a German voice and no voice control.

RNS-E is showing an X instead of the expected software version.

Assuming the new nav disc sorts the disc error I would love to get full SDS bluetooth and Nav control, do I need anymore hardware? Will some VAG-Com trickery enable the SDS? I'm loathed to go back to Leicester and hand over more cash...

I've heard a few horror stories about Autotronics to be honest. I know they were trying to flog copied DVD map discs and pass them off as originals not so long ago.

Whatever you do don't go back there. You will have to check to see if they have coded it to the car correctly and enabled the said functions correctly. I'm guessing the map copies they are doing don't have the SDS hack files on them.

Hmmm, yes, I did get the feeling that i'd been given low grade product. If I do go back i'll be going with trading standards and a copy of the email I intend to send to Audi UK along with the moody nav disc... If it is a copy it is good one btw.

Did you know they were suppling you with a copy of the DVD ? if not phone them back to say this is a copy and if you don't send me an original one then I'm sure Audi UK would be very interested in knowing that there breaching copywrite laws!

This happened to a member on here and he did exactly the above and he got an original DVD but he was buying it under the impression it was an original in the first place so if you knew it was a copy then it isn't going to work.

All looked good at the time but halfway home the nav flashed up the dreaded disc unreadable error.

Bluetooth works and get phonebook and dialled numbers in the DIS but the SDS button gives me a German voice and no voice control.

RNS-E is showing an X instead of the expected software version.

Assuming the new nav disc sorts the disc error I would love to get full SDS bluetooth and Nav control, do I need anymore hardware? Will some VAG-Com trickery enable the SDS? I'm loathed to go back to Leicester and hand over more cash...

These companies man, why do you people use them, anyway.

Obviously either a crap copy or dvd drive issues, need to test with original to make sure drive is ok.

Go into rns setup & change the language in there for SDS, if they have wired the mic correctly then once language done it should work, if not then wiring needs fixing, the rewire of mic & coding will give you the full SDS for rns & bt.

You should after checking with new disc & sds language change if it still isnt working get someone else to fix & ask them to pay the bill as you will not go back there or my advice is dont.

I'm guessing the map copies they are doing don't have the SDS hack files on them.

Map copies dont have anything to do with hack files, hack files are a seperate install update that would work inconjunction with the dvd's, the firmware is what holds the hack files, now if its an already sds aware unit, then no hack is required.

Hmmm, yes, I did get the feeling that i'd been given low grade product. If I do go back i'll be going with trading standards and a copy of the email I intend to send to Audi UK along with the moody nav disc... If it is a copy it is good one btw.

Its not a low grade product, its the install/knowledge of product/professionalism thats let you down here.

Also obviously its not a good one, it doesnt work, lol

Did you know they were suppling you with a copy of the DVD ? if not phone them back to say this is a copy and if you don't send me an original one then I'm sure Audi UK would be very interested in knowing that there breaching copywrite laws!

This happened to a member on here and he did exactly the above and he got an original DVD but he was buying it under the impression it was an original in the first place so if you knew it was a copy then it isn't going to work.

This is true, if you were offered original then phone up & demand an original & of the year your current dvd is

Thanks for the advice guys, the new disc has arrived today so i'll try it tonight but the wife thinks it looks like another (albeit very good) copy. I'll get a genuine disc off ebay and see if that sorts the SW X--- issue and try the language change. Are any of you guys around Surrey with VAG-com should I need to get it checked out? I'd rather deal with experts than these muppets in Leicester.

I have a genuine 08 set in box for east/west eu for sale if interested.

I know some people in surrey or if I'm back in time I could check it out for you, but at a cost you understand.

How much are you after for it? There's some guys at VAGcheck.com that are very close to me, can you recommend them?

£95 delivered.

I'd hold of paying for another company until you know for sure what issue is, Paddy is near you, he for beer tokens would probably scan to check setup, sure between us we can at least track issue down.

Thanks but genuine boxed 2009 ones are going on ebay for £80'ish so i'll try and nab one of them. May well take you and Paddy up on the scan for beer tokens offer though if I can't get the SDS working.. Appreciate your help

Thats just 1 dvd though so probably just west eu, but go for it.

Thanks for the advice guys, the new disc has arrived today so i'll try it tonight but the wife thinks it looks like another (albeit very good) copy. I'll get a genuine disc off ebay and see if that sorts the SW X--- issue and try the language change. Are any of you guys around Surrey with VAG-com should I need to get it checked out? I'd rather deal with experts than these muppets in Leicester.

If it's a copy the underside will be blue and not silver.

Good point, i'd forgotten that... From memory it is silver which would suggest genuine. The wife has tried the new disc and it did seem to work though the SW is still showing X---. If I force a reset of the RNS-E will it reload the software from the disc?

Basically there are a lot of nav units out there with the X--- for the version, I don't know why they are doing this, but it is the way they are supplied by a particular company, they all seem to be set for italian with SDS enabled.

Pain in the neck as if they are not SDS wired the BT kit breaks for voice control. Simplest fix is to downgrade the unit and then insert the orginal disk to get it back to 650.

Oh ok, sorry for being thick but how do I do that? By forcing a reset and then loading an 09 disc?

Oh ok, sorry for being thick but how do I do that? By forcing a reset and then loading an 09 disc?

You need to plug vagcom in to force the download of a an older version. Then to do the upgrade you just simply put the 09 disc back in the slot.

If your ever back near leicester then i can help you.
can do the downgrade and upgrade for you along with correct coding and sds hack.
paddy or nhn will sort you though if your local, nhn tought me. lol

Thanks for all the help offers guys, I can confirm that both discs they have given me are copies though as a graphic designer I have to congratulate them on their ability to scan and re-print a dvd label! Now that i've got two off them i'll be sending one to Leicester trading standards and the other to Audi UK unless of course they decide it would be a good idea to give me a nice shiny new set of genuine Audi ones! Anyone want to take bets? Managed to change the SDS language to English but it is still not recognising commands so i'm guessing they have not set it up properly... Plan to get a genuine map DVD and then once i'm sure the drive is ok take one of you guys up on the offer of some VAG-com coding

That could get you into trouble, Blackmail ring any bells? You would be no better than the company that sent you copy DVD's :angrymod:

Now that i've got two off them i'll be sending one to Leicester trading standards and the other to Audi UK unless of course they decide it would be a good idea to give me a nice shiny new set of genuine Audi ones!

Just in case you are thinking of spending £140 on a set of genuine 2009 discs just take into account that the 2010 maps & new software will be released in January.

That could get you into trouble, Blackmail ring any bells? You would be no better than the company that sent you copy DVD's :angrymod:

I wouldn't call it blackmail when i've paid in good faith for genuine discs and been given counterfeit. I will be merely giving them the opportunity to do the right thing...

yes thats the mic you need, its the same seller i got mine from, my car wasnt pre wired but its a straight forward job

Out of interest did they give you a pin number for the RNS-e?I don't want to sound negative but i bet the unit was stolen abroard and has had the eeprom wiped to stop it being traced unfortunately most of the ones on Ebay from the eastern europeans are like this.

paddy or nhn will sort you though if your local, nhn tought me. lol

Did I, damn memory is fading, lol, kudos to me as dont remember that one.

If I could lick my nads I would, lol

Out of interest did they give you a pin number for the RNS-e?I don't want to sound negative but i bet the unit was stolen abroard and has had the eeprom wiped to stop it being traced unfortunately most of the ones on Ebay from the eastern europeans are like this.

Thats not true tbh as number of members got from that area without this issue.

I didn't get a pin code card... I've sent them an email this morning that should make them spit their tea out! I write emails that give people a bowel movement for a living so i'm expecting a call shortly...

Oh dear, no pin, looks like they have alot of explaining to do, dont suppose you have radio keys to remove the unit to see if the code is written on the top.

Just had the very sheepish phonecall... Pin is written on the unit apparently and they are sending me an original Audi disc on Monday! They still swear blind that I need an extra mic to get the SDS working though... Is this correct? Do I have to have the Mickey Mouse Kufatec one and the Audi one in the light cluster?

As I said then, take unit out & check it, also they're talking rubbish, you can of course run 2 mics in parallel which isnt the best route tbh, the best way to do this is the proper oem way of mic into rns, then out to bt module, so yours needs rewiring accordingly to work, did they say the full sds would be wokring when the install was finished, if so then its upto them to correct or pay for someone to do for you, end of really, also ask them why it shows X instead of the correct data, see what they say, if they say its a newer version say thats crap mate, they always display the data there, but try a genuine dvd & reload firmware.

To be fair I didn't ask them to wire it in to the SDS when I went there last Sunday because I didn't know that was possible (i'd only owned the car for 30 minutes!) And they obviously didn't know it was possible either because they say I have to have an extra mic fitted at a cost of £35 quid + fitting. As long as I get original nav discs and the pin code is present i'll cut my losses with them and get the rest sorted with yourself or Paddy if you are able to help in exchange for aforementioned beer tokens...

I've just finished a retrofit of bluetooth and mfsw and while i had it all apart i thought i might aswell do the sds hack as it's free. As said above get a proper audi mic about a tenner off ebay (£30 - £40 from stealers). I was lucky as my car already had the mic in the roof console so i just picked up the connection from the orange plug in the n/s/f/ footwell took that to the rns-e and from the rns-e mic out connection to the bluetooth. If you need help just ask there's lots of vert helpful people on here and some good write ups on the net.

Thanks for all the help offers guys, I can confirm that both discs they have given me are copies though as a graphic designer I have to congratulate them on their ability to scan and re-print a dvd label!

Wow graphic designer for scanning and printing dvd label. Not fun it all. Did you try to do it on your own for example with RonyaSoft CD DVD Label Maker?