Should I change from Golf IV to A3?

• Thread starter imported_Tdi2004
  • Start date
I

imported_Tdi2004

Hello to all,

I have been reading through the posts on hear and I thought I would ask the people on here for some advice.

I am currently driving a Mark IV Golf GT TDI 130bhp with all the kit and I am looking to change. I quite like the car but It is nearing 3 years old so I fancy a change.

I am looking at an A3 2.0TDI Sport and I have kitted one out on Broadspeed.com and can get one fully loaded for £20k. I was then thinking of but the 18"RS6 alloys but I can only find replicas not originals on e-bay? Has anyone fitted these to a 2.0TDI Sport?

I was looking at the A3 2.0 TDI S-LIne DSG but I Prefer to have a manual box. I like the look of it but the box puts me off.

Can anyone on here tell me about how they have found the A3 2.0 TDI sport to be?

I wil be test driving them both on the next couple of weeks but if anyone can give me any advice I woudl appreciate it.

Cheers

J

not sure about the tdi, but im swapping from an r32 to a 3.2 with dsg. After the testdrive, i was smitten. All in all the a3 is a better car, IMO.

I test drove an A3 2.0TDI Sport manual when we were looking to change our Bora.

The build quality is in a different league. Great engine, much better handling and decent gearbox. We then decided that we wanted a proper 4 door car and as we didn't like the look of the A3 Sportback we went for an A4 1.9 130PD.

One minus point that I can think of. The visibility from inside the car is poor. You'll see what I mean when you drive it.

Can't you get an S-Line with a manual 'box?

Yup - I just went from a Bora to an A3 TDI. Found the visibility to be not quite as good but just about everything else is better (obviously apart from boot space but that ones a bit obvious).

The steering, power delivery, build quality, rear leg room and just the look of the car are much better.

Incidentally you can't get the sline in manual with the 2.0 TDI engine. I have no idea why and this annoyed me a lot - to the point where I actually ordered the DSG TDI but came to my senses and reverted back to the manual sport spec and slapped on lots of extras.

Thanks for the info guys.

I know what you mean about the S-line DSG. What cant they do it in Manual like the 3.2 S-line which offers both??

They would shift more of them if they did.

Anyone want to purchase a Golf IV then?

I will let you know how I get on.

Cheers,

J

Reserve your judgement on the DSG until you driven one....

I have driven Mercedes, Jaguar, BMW, Ford /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif, Vauxhall /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif, and numerous Yank Tanks to boot all with auto-boxes and the DSG is the best of them all.

I love the S-Line package and I wouldn't not go for it simply for the DSG, the thing that put me off was the fact its only available with 1/2 leather and I'm a leather man. The 18" S-line wheels are simply stunning and the best part of the package.

Never had a Golf so I couldn't comment, this is my second Audi (previously had a TT Roadster before my wife got pregnant /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif) and I have had multiple 3-Series Beemers and other cars and the A3 is my favourite yet.

Just go careful with the options as the costs rack up... I spent £9.1K /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

I agree, it's not that bad and the torque of the 2.0 TDI is simply amazing, and that's before a remap. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
FOLLOW ME said:
The911SC Dont agree with your comments about the oil bunner vibration, or the emmisions. I have A A3TDi 130 and my tax for the year is only £115 because the emmisions are so low. I think the full car tax correct me if i'm wrong but is around £160.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, its my opinion that there is too much vibration. The FSI is cheaper than the TDi and I didnt say the tax was more on the diesel, it is cheaper on the FSI than the 160 per year due to its low emissions for a petrol car.
I didnt slag the tdi off, I loved the punch in the mid range but I suggest any purchaser take it for a long test drive prior to purchase as it does make quite a racket!.

Glad to hear you like yours though...

HI,

I've got the 130BHp Golf IV GTTDI, I was undecided whether to go for a new Golf or a New A3. I test drove both in the same day. For build quality I found the A3 far superior, like the other subscriber I found the interior of the new Golf stark and fisher price Like.

Perhaps its just me (and my girlfriend) but we actually found the A3 Sport a far better ride than the new golf. I would say it's very similar to what I drive now.

Hence in 6 weeks time I'll take delivery of a New Sportback! 2.0 Lt 140TDi sport ( I loved it)