Means of maintaining....

phoenixv6quattro

staylowmovefast
Reaction score
Hello again fellas. Spent last week detailing....interior, under chasis, wheel arches, door shuts, engine etc etc. At the weekend I prepared my paint for polishing. Washed (several times at different stages incl snow foamed) tardissed snd clayed. Hand polishing was an epic!!!! Armed with a bottle of 203 , a german pad and a plush towell I polished, and polished......and polished....Took me 11 hours non stop. The car is 11 years old and has NEVER been poished so as you can understand swirl marks and blenishes from motorways and evil car-washes were a plenty!!!!! I achieved about 80% correction. Thanks to polished bliss for their advice on this. After another wash I dried her and applied Collinite 476. Now I understand what people say about the stuff. It gives a good shine, but not amazing. However, the protection is simply excellent!! A must for the winter! Will post pics of results shortly...

A couple of questions for you guys though. Because of the Collinite I do not plan to wax her now untill spring. Is meguiars nxt gen (the purple stuff) wax friendly?? What is the best method to clean my car without disturbing the collinite?? And if it needs it, is it advisable to apply anothet layer in a month or so? Last but not least, when it comes to removing it, what is the best way/product to use??

Thanks gents!

Hello,

Collinite is my winter wax of choice too as its really hard wearing. I found the best way to give it a bit of a lift after a wash was just go over it with quick detailer and it comes right back. If you want to put another coat on it just wash it and dry the car and go for it (IMO). Thats what I used to do and I never had any problems.

You could look into something like Dodo Juice Red Mist as a top up after a wash too. I used it on top of the Collinite and it gave a nice result. Or failing that the stuff I had before was Zaino Z8 Grand Finale or something. Similar product and worked well.

Someone who knows more than me will be along soon though I'm sure!.

T

Oh and with regards to the NXT, do you mean the NXT wax in a trigger bottle?, I wouldnt put that stuff on top. If its the NXT detailer then you should be fine :)

Credit to you for doing the whole lot by hand. 11 hours hand polishing.. You sir, deserve a medal. Can't wait for the photos..

You might want to get another coat of Colli down before Spring. NXT Gen shampoo, as far as im aware(?) is wax friendly - yes. I use Dodo Born To Be Mild.

Best method to clean...? Your usual rinse > snowfoam > two-bucket wash will be fine. You could try a spray sealant such as Zaino Z8 or Dodo Red Mist after ever other wash - this prolongs the durability and gives an epic boost in shine.

If you want to remove the wax and start fresh, you're best giving it the full clay-bar treatment followed by your chosen pre-wax cleanser. This will give a fresh base for a new layer.

Many thanks gents. Will give it a wash and another layer of colli at the weekend. The red mist sounds good. Will have to look into that. Soon as I have access to my laptop(I work away from home, and post here via iphone)I will put some pics up. I only took a few and again was with the iphone so the quality is not amazing. Should be able to get them up by the weekend. Thanks again for your input fellas!

Ollie

Pics as promised. Sorry it has taken so long. I did an extra week at work so didn't have the chance! Now the pics were taken with an iPhone so please excuse the quality! Didn't take many either due to the length of time I was polishing/daylight restrictions!

On this one the right side has been polished, and had just applied the polish on the left. Was having a cheeky sandwich before working/rubbing the polish with a lakes pad untill it was hazy...........The second Photo was taken at the same time, but also shows the freshly polished left wing..........

POLISHING-1.jpg
POLISHING.jpg

Polishing done! This pick is the day after I finished just before I re-washed her to prime her for applying the collinite 476.........

ENGINEANDALLOYSDRESSED-WAXED.jpg

Collinite doing it's job nicely!!!

COLLINITE476.jpg

Please be aware although you can't see many swirl marks in these pics(due to the low quality camera/lighting), there are quite a few left on close inspection. I have resigned myself to the fact that I will not get rid of these without a machine

Will get some pics of the whole car up shortly. As of yet have not had the chance because whenever I manage to clean her it's either ****** dark by that time, or raining!! (sure you would agree, rain is every detailers worst nemesis!).......I honestly couldn't believe how fu**ed I was after the hand polishing. I will be investing in a machine in the new year for round 2 of the polishing bout!

Cheers Gents!

Last edited:
A cool looking car my man! Nice interior, too. Oh, btw, your tax is due! ;) D'oh

Look forward to seeing more pictures.

Good work.

Lol. Yeah don't you worry that will be squared on the 1st Jan........When it's due.

Wow, that looks ace dude! Top marks. I really need to give mine a good seeing to over christmas also.

What wheels are they? They really suit the car. Shame we don't have more pics yet, but know what you mean about weather and rain at this time of year. I haven't seen my car in the daylight for over a week now. :(

Thanks dude. Believe me its FAR from perfect. In the Streetlamps you can still see lots of swirl marks. The standard Jiimeh and WX get the cars to is in another Leauge! Next year with a bit of practice and a machine (going to invest in one, NEVER going through that again!) I am hoping for results close to theirs. I was warned, this sh*t is addictive! I feel like a detailing smack head! Everytime I see a spec of dirt I go cold turkey!!! LOL!!

The wheels are OE made by speedline Italy for Audi.We think (the b5 forum) they are A8 monoblocks. I got mine off geeman. He's just sold another set. God knows where he gets them from as I have never seen them before.