Should I hang my head in shame or not?

tazzy baby

Welsh & Proud
Reaction score
Ive just come back from cardiff after picking my bro up and as always he is ******. so to cut a long story short he was giving abuse to other cars as i was overtaking them and i told him to stop it but as he is my twin bro he thinks he knows best and didnt listen to me.
So i was on the A470 just passing taff wells when i was overtaking a 09 plate astra VXR,,,,, now i have no idea what these things can do but my bro started shouting and giving them the finger so as u can imagine the boys in the astra wernt amused and gave chase.

Now im in a 97 a4 1.8t avant with 171387 miles on the clock and a boot full of tools and jacks and everything sodding thing else. The roads are icy and wet and the quickest i could get out of my baby was 124 mph :racer:,,,and the VXR wasup my ****,,, now i know i can drive as i have been pursuit trained ( by a traffic cop i know )and been on a loads of corses to drive at speed and handle a car ( but that does not make me a good driver ) i think that is awfull and that i should hang my head in shame quit the site and never drive again but be4 i do can any one tell me for this sort of milage age and **** in the boot did my car do well,,,,,, And :wtf: is in a VXR

OOOO and by the way the only way i could loose him was to drive round the rounderbout 16 times hahahahaha I WIN LOL

Now im in a 97 a4 1.8t avant with 171387 miles on the clock and a boot full of tools and jacks and everything sodding thing else. The roads are icy and wet and the quickest i could get out of my baby was 124 mph

hmmm

Mate, you were on a runway right? You veered off the motorway with the vxr and ended up doing 124mph on a private runway...Good, just checking, thought so........

plate astra VXR,,,,, now i have no idea what these things can do but my bro started shouting and giving them the finger so as u can imagine the boys in the astra wernt amused and gave chase.

The roads are icy and wet and the quickest i could get out of my baby was 124 mph :racer:,,,and the VXR wasup my ****,,,

Hate to be a kill joy matey but thats how thousands of young drivers are killed every year, you were sobre so you should of known better....

p.s don't mess with a vxr!

Hate to be a kill joy matey but thats how thousands of young drivers are killed every year, you were sobre so you should of known better....

p.s don't mess with a vxr!

124mph @ Santa Pod = Fun!

124mph @ Motorway = Ban/Death

..........But he was on a "private runway"....

..........But he was on a "private runway"....

oh yeah sorry forgot :keule:

Must admit there have been times recently (chav in an E36 M3 the other day) when I feel like having a bit of sport, but conditions havn't yet been right to give her a real test...(safely)...

The highest indicated speed i've seen on a racetrack is 135mph. That was in my old nova, while playing with a Volvo saloon. The scary bit wasnt doing the 135 though, it was when i'd had enough and lifted off. Car felt horribly unstable, so much so that i put my foot back on the throttle!

I guess i'm a lot more aware of the consequences nowadays, and realise how dangerous it is.

In your case you should simply have stayed at the speed you were doing. If the VXR put the boot down, just ignore him, if he started following you drive at a sensible pace to the nearest garage forecourt or simiar where there is cameras and people. If they do follow you into the garage, then at least they're on film if they start anything.

If your brother does the same again, then do as auroan says and tell him to get out (just not at the side of the motorway!)

astra vxrs are very quick, had a play with one when i had the megane which had a bit done to it, stg2 map and other bits, was just shy of 270bhp/310+ lb/ft, and the vxr was still hanging on, but i didnt know if the vxr had anything done, they have a massive amount of mid range power, if the vxr was allowed to id say they would go onto about 160mph no probs

should hang your head in shame for thinking you had even a remote chance of getting away from a VXR (or any other modern day hothatch)!

a 1.25 ZetecS fiesta is fast enough to hang onto a 1.8T avant 2up with tools.... as aragorn will testify

Empty your tools out get the car chipped and have another go. I haven't found the VXR Astra in stock trim to be that much quicker in a straightline sprint against my T Sport. Typically only drop 2-3 car lengths accelerating in 2nd through to the top of 4th.

Icy roads and a laden car really would have meant I wouldn't have played though. I won't even play on a damp road these days.

Empty your tools out get the car chipped and have another go. I haven't found the VXR Astra in stock trim to be that much quicker in a straightline sprint against my T Sport. Typically only drop 2-3 car lengths accelerating in 2nd through to the top of 4th.

Icy roads and a laden car really would have meant I wouldn't have played though. I won't even play on a damp road these days.

unless you are pushing out 250+ bhp you wont keep with a vxr, as said before modern day hothatches are rapid, i know i had one of them, they wiegh 1200kg and have 225 bhp+ , no way a a4 with its wieght and less power will stay with one,

A 2wd A4 is about 1200KG however it only has 150 BHP, so unless the driver of the VXR wasn't willing to drive at 10/10ths maybe then you would stand a chance.

A std VXR would easily do my TQS apart form off the line i expect, i am of no other illusion !

A 2wd A4 is about 1200KG however it only has 150 BHP, so unless the driver of the VXR wasn't willing to drive at 10/10ths maybe then you would stand a chance.

A std VXR would easily do my TQS apart form off the line i expect, i am of no other illusion !

a 2wd audi a4 is about 1450kg +

VXR`s used to sit on the **** of my scoob when it was standerd, so an A4 has no chance!

should hang your head in shame for thinking you had even a remote chance of getting away from a VXR (or any other modern day hothatch)!

a 1.25 ZetecS fiesta is fast enough to hang onto a 1.8T avant 2up with tools.... as aragorn will testify

ZetecS's are 1.6 :p

a 2wd audi a4 is about 1450kg +
Incorrect.

Depends on the exact spec. Marks old saloon SE was under 1300kgs for sure, 1280 rings a bell. Our avant is 1340 on the plate, and a quattro saloon is about 1380-1400ish

An S4 with its heavy V6 motor etc is only 1500 or so.

Look on the sticker in the boot, or in the front of the service book, your cars kerb weight is on the last line.

AUDI A4 B5

DIMENSIONS:
* Length: 4479mm
* Width: 1733mm
* Height: 1415mm
* Wheelbase: 2617mm
* Kerb weight: 1205kg

Incorrect.

Depends on the exact spec. Marks old saloon SE was under 1300kgs for sure, 1280 rings a bell. Our avant is 1340 on the plate, and a quattro saloon is about 1380-1400ish

An S4 with its heavy V6 motor etc is only 1500 or so.

Look on the sticker in the boot, or in the front of the service book, your cars kerb weight is on the last line.

think my tqs says something like 1480kg so i cant see the quattro system comes in at an extra 250kg over a 2wd a4

Aragorn is correct, my 2wd was around 1250 and my TQS is 1442 according to the sticker in the service book etc.

Thats quite a difference, one which you can feel to drive and deffo feel on the wallet.

The floor pan is a completely different design, adding weight, the diff, driveshatfs, rear subframe etc all add weight

right, i have just read it from my data plate. So maybe Audi printed it wrong then?

Does it matter over a few KG a FWD is around 200KG lighter, thats the point we are making here

Sorry but I absolutely stand by my earlier comment. I have had a couple of straight line run ins with VXR's and lost but not by anything I would deem as a considerable margin.

My car is 2wd and was last dyno'd at 181bhp (and has received a couple of minor additions since). Admittidly I have a fair bit of track/fast road driving experience under my belt which may go some way to explain it but not cover the whole story.

Yes the Astra VXR is a modern and quick hatchback but they are not unbeatable and often let down by the squidgy organic bit in the drivers seat.

Last edited:
200kg makes a big diferance. Thats why pulsar gti-r's are so quick off the mark compared to newer evos etc. Acceleration wise an evo 6 would need about an extra 50bhp to get the same kind of 1/4 mile times as a pulsar from what i remember.

Tazzy has a std unchipped Sport Avant. So assuming 150bhp MAX on 1250KG against 220bhp and similar weight...

The vxr would be a lot quicker,i would hope so anyway. My quattro is about 200bhp and for it to be quick it needs an extra 100bhp if you ask me. I wouldnt be surprised if a FWD 1.8T was just as quick or quicker than a standard quattro sport.

My last car car FWD 250 BHP was an S4 beater, it was great watching the faces of drivers bigger engined when they tried it on.lol

To overcome the additional weight of the TQS i need at least 50 bhp more i recon.

Anyway, sorry Tazzy, we have stolen your thread.LOL

VXR power to weight: 172 (240bhp 1393kg from VX website)
A4 1.8t power to weight: 117 (150bhp 1275kg)
B5 S4 power to weight: 158 (265bhp 1680kg)

as you can see, a 1.8Tsport has no chance... and from the figures, would give a stock S4 a run for its money in the midrange

if i can find one on a test track as the same time as me, ill put the above to the test also :)

The roads are icy and wet and the quickest i could get out of my baby was 124 mph :racer:
Yes, hang your head in shame.

Given recent troubles with an expired MOT (leaving you with effectively no insurance cover for a brief period) I would've thought that keeping your nose clean would be high on your list of priorities for a while. That probably doesn't include letting your brother's drunken (/poor) behaviour goad you into doing 124mph on an A-road (not even a Motorway?), which you'll happily admit was icy and wet.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no angel - I've still got a year left with six points on my licence - but that was 105mph on a deserted and bone-dry M5.

Sorry to be so blunt, but you did ask.

Oh, and I sincerely hope you didn't have an audi-sport.net sticker on display while all this was going on.

Regards,

Rob.

Yes, well said Rob, what a silly thing to say on a public forum. You cant value yourself much let alone other people. My son was killed due to two lad's street racing on the public road's. If you want to go fast join the big boy's and go on a track day.

The A470 isn't a motorway, it's a 2 lane dual carriageway, 70 mph limit. Quite bendy too. I used to live in Cardiff and commute to uni in Treforest everyday, so I know that road well. :)

I used to race my mate home in his Mini, up the slip road and up to the next turnoff, where he got off. I think we maybe hit 80 mph tops. I wouldn't do in excess of 100 mph on that road, no way...