Weird window rattle that driving me nuts

ghost.s3

Reaction score
Here's an interesting one (tried a search but nothing similar came up). My driver's window has started rattling. Here's the thing though, it just happens when it's fully closed. So it sounds as if it's rattling in the rubber thingies (that's the technical term). As soo as I drop the window, even very slightly, the rattle / creaking disappears.

Seems like the kind of thing that should be easy to solve - just can't seem to figure out what to start with / do.

Any ideas? Before I tear the nails from my toes in frustration.

I have this but only when closing the door at the minute.

It has a funny rattle to it when the window is up but if I edge it down even slightly it doesnt do it when closing the door. :s

not sure if this is any help or even the same problem but i had i rattle creak from both my front doors and i found that by cleaning all the rubber seals and the body of the car where the seal rests the noise is gone.this is quite a common prob on post 05 bmw 3 series and it caused by silicone build up from incorrect cleaning products being used or dirt build up.be sure to clean all the seals around the door and car body with silicone remover.hope this helps

not sure if this is any help or even the same problem but i had i rattle creak from both my front doors and i found that by cleaning all the rubber seals and the body of the car where the seal rests the noise is gone.this is quite a common prob on post 05 bmw 3 series and it caused by silicone build up from incorrect cleaning products being used or dirt build up.be sure to clean all the seals around the door and car body with silicone remover.hope this helps

Cool, definitely sounds like it's possible. Thanks for the tip dude, will give it a try:icon_thumright:

Tried cleaning it with surgical spirits without any luck. Will get hold of some proper silicone remover and have another go.