High Speed Buffing

Well, I am on "the list" - have been since the early days - but I won't take be taking it any further if I'm contacted to firm up.

I really really would like the upgraded engine bits etc but I'm not happy with the low key looks of the car and I can't really afford the ~65K it would cost given the extras I'd like to put on. If I was in a position to spend 65K I would almost certainly spend 75K instead on a 996 GT3.
So, it's a big no no from me...

Edit: I'm also a tad put out by the attitude of BMW towards potential customers. We weren't even allowed to open/sit in the car on Saturday. Gareth tried so hard but all he got was "we've lost the keys" crap.

I am number 3 on a list BUT when I first put my name down, I was told it would be £45K base. As it was stripped out and yet contained some nice little treats, CF roof, engine upgrade, etc, I felt this was a fair trade off. However, now that Matt has confirmed £58K base and my soon-to-be ex-dealer has told me £59,995, I've said I'm not even slightly tempted.

Someone recently made the valid point that Porsche were selling the 968 CS as a stripped out model, and thus offered at less than the regular car - this in my books is very fair - less toys but more driving enjoyment. This is really the attitude I hoped BMW would adopt. However, with regards to the CSL, BMW's attitude to customer service, product information and the CASH-COW mentality have left me feeling like even if they said, "you can have one tomorrow", I still say "no thanks..." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nono.gif

Just my humble opinion. I am sure it will an incredible car but, for me, not at the price they are asking.

...and yet, where is steve...?!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/stickpoke.gif Surely he can't we working like the rest of us should be /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

so does that mean there is one serious person who still desires the CSL? I am not a die hard BMW fan so part of the rationale behind buying the CSL was the fact that I thought/think residuals will be v.high. does this small poll mean i am wrong? will it be another 330 clubsport?

who knows? i still want a csl because as someone else has said it intensifies all the values that i hold dear in my m3, except the brakes but maybe with less weight....

PS porsche dealers suck! i went to lancasters flash new showroom with serious intemtions about the GT3 only 2 b told by finance mngr that values after 2 yrs are set at 50%

Steve

Everything we're discussing falls under the CRM category. The reason CRM is so 'in vogue' at the moment, and gaining more and more relevance, are exactly the reasons we've been mentioning. Customer Resource Management - 2 simple words say it all customer and resource - without us, the coffers dry up. We are the resource which make the difference between commercial success and failure. Abuse us and we'll spend out money elsewhere...

Simon

[ QUOTE ]
However I have to say that to me it reads like you are trying to convince yourself (and maybe others) that the CSL will be everything you want it to be and you are prepared to accept what is I believe to be sub standard offering from BMW.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gareth, fair comment. I have needed to convince myself since viewing the CSL last Saturday and I do find it disappointing that BMW haven't made more of an effort to make it look much more expensive.

Externally I don't think there is much more they should do (apart from making the colours unique) - I like the shape of the standard M3 and don't like the modified look of ACS cars with huge wings and cosmetic spoilers. The CSL takes the classic looks of the M3 and allows 'form to follow function' by applying bodywork changes to eliminate negative lift and improve stability. Perfect.

Inside they should have made it more individual and expensive, using leather, CF and alcantara. If I could choose it in Imola Red or an Ice Blue trim that would be even better. So they've screwed up on the interior design. I'm happy to admit that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/openfire.gif

But I had to go back and re-read the CSL press document and remind myself why I was interested in the CSL in the first place. All the changes have been applied to the driving experience, which is what I wanted in the first place. On that front I've had no reason to doubt that BMW have got it spot on. I know people who drove the prototype last July and I trust their opinion when they say it's brilliant and leagues ahead of the standard car.

Your points 1-3 I knew before I opted for a CSL and whilst it's very frustrating I'm not going to allow it to stop me owning a great car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/stickpoke.gif

I spend quite a lot on cars and there's nothing else sub-£200k that I would actually want to buy. So if I didn't buy a CSL I would keep my M3, but always be wondering what I had missed.

The price only bothers me if the second hand market values drop like a stone. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Value for money - I've already said I compare it with a 996 GT3 which will be nearer £15k more. For those people who are more impressed by the GT3, I would recommend they try owning one and perhaps getting used to the customer experience from Porsche. It's no different to BMW and once the 'rose-tint' wears off they might just realise that they've paid £15k more for the same car, just as I realised when I changed from a 996 C2 to the M3 that I'd just saved myself almost £20k.

When I look back on some of the great cars I've owned, I realise that it's the cars I remember and the adventures I had in them - not the dealers or the manufacturers or all the hassle I had waiting to get them.

The BMW commercial team may have let us all down but I don't expect the engineers at M GmbH to make the same mistake.

My car has got loads of parallel lines all over the paint work. It looks fine until it is under the sunlight and then it looks really bad as though it is full of streaky scratches.

I polished part of it and tried a bit of paint renovator too, but when washed again you could see them right away.

I went down to a local body shop and they said that it looked like it had been through a carwash all of its life, which is probably true thanks to the previous owner. They said a high speed buffing for £150 would get rid of most of the lines. I reckon a dose of scratch-x would get rid of some, but they would surely reappear again. I want a permanent solution, would a high speed buff achieve this? or would it look brand new for a month and then go back to normal?

Would it not be possible to just respray the top clear coat laquer?
Is £150 expensive and what can I expect?
Any suggestions as it only looks bad in direct sunlight.

Thanks for any replies.

Don't you need to be skilled to operate it though as i've heard you can burn the paint. Also will this cover up the scratches until a month down the line, or will it actually remove them permanently.

£150 did seem quite a lot but that was the first place i went. Surely I could just get the clear coat laquer resprayed as when it is wet, it looks absoloutley mint!!!!

Just been looking on ebay ... would this be suitable for my needs and is it pretty much fool proof with no risk of damaging paintwork? Also can these safely be used on metallic paint work?

Ebay auction

Thanks!

I've been down to another local bodyshop. £120 to get bumper resprayed (it needs it!!) and £40 for a high speed buff! Bargain so just going to do that. Are these buffs safe to your paintwork just once?

Just got my car back from front bumper respray and buff ... it looks absoloutely immaculate! Am so pleased!!!!

It's got rid of all those horrible parallel scratches.

The guy has even painted my stone chips and scratches!!!

Just for the record... If anyone's looking for a high-speed polisher in the UK... Believe it or not, you can get a 240V Random-Orbital one, with one towelling and one finishing bonnet for 30 notes from... Wait for it... Halfords

I decided I wanted to get a polisher to give my car a go as a stop-gap before I get the bumper and bonnet re-sprayed when I fit some bodywork bits. Picked one of those up from halfords yesteray, and I'm about to go out and give it a go - I'll post again and let you know how it goes. Admittedly I'm not hoping for it to perform like a professional tool (with a professional operator), but it certainly looks and feels more than I'd expect for 30 quid. Very sturdy, and while I haven't measured it yet, and don't recall reading - the pads are I'd say between about 8 and 10 inches diameter.

As I say, I'll let you know how I get on...

Regards,

Rob.

£150 is not bad considering it would probably take them several hours.

I got a Porter Cable random orbital machine from Autopia in the US, and it came to a total of £150 after I had got a 110V transformer, plug, extension and a load of spare polishing pads. I haven't used it on the Audi yet as I have been trying to get all the swirls and scratches out of the paintwork of my 200SX. I have spent around 8 hours on it now, and that was a complete wash, clay, clean, scratch removal, polish and wax marathon session, using 6 different products. The results are absolutely amazing, and most of the defects have now been removed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I would definitely recommend a Porter Cable to anyone who likes to look after their paintwork.

Gawd!!! Come Tae Papa you lot!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I could make a fortune with all you luverly people willing to part with such dosh for such an easy job /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, the main part that should be mentioned is to keep the paint finely wetted using a spray of sorts and plenty of water. This stops the paint from being burned as someone else said /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif. Then you need to know what heads to use and what compound... once mastered, and it doesn't take long believe me, it's a piece of cake! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/[censored].gif

not at all mate!

ive got the halfords jobby for £under 20 notes!!

its a tottaly different unit and held a slightly different way, also when put under pressure the motor will slow or stop turning and is at a lower speed!

A angle grinder would be far to powerful!!

yeah but the motor only stops turning because it is not powerful enough.
I'm happy i spent £40 for a high speed buff as it's got rid of all the horrible parallel lines that the previous owner's automtic car washing put on!

But have you got swirl marks instead or is it a good finish, ive had a bad job done before!!

My car is covered in swirls u can only see them at certain angles when the light hits it but i still know they are there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif whats the best way to get rid of them?

there are a few swirly marks if i don't wax it and keep it nice and shiny, but these are more noticeable at night.
honestly though, these parallel lines under sunlight looked like someone had got a scourer and scrathed my car from boot to bonnet. looked awful!! Now it looks absoloutely fine!! I've used that meguiars techwax stuff and put 2 coats of that on. Looks shiny as hell now!!

On the boot there would have been loads of lines, but fine now!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

cool maybe i will give that wax a try....might wait until the summer though as dont seem to be getting too many good days this time of year......still have the car cleaned every week but not waxed. Where did you get the wax from?

i just got it from a local car shop. To be honest though, I think the Gold Class Wax is better. I thik the one I bought is aimed at young boy racers! But it works well, but will prob get the gold class next time!!

Give your car a wax sometime, it'll thank you for it!! I can't beleive how much shinier mine is looking, even with a bit of dirt on it!!