My Saga of Owning an A3T Continues.....

A3T.IAN

Reaction score
I think mt '99 A3T has come with every not required optional extra!! So far within two weeks of owning the car (1 owner, low miles, fsh):

1. Passenger Window not operating - Yes, i got one of them bust clips.

2. Stereo volume with a mind of it's own.

3. Trip computer not operating - Replaced fuse, now working but reset button on stalk doesn't work, haven't found the answer to this one yet.

3. Temp gauge not going above 70 deg on the move, but climbs towards the magic 90 when sat in traffic, like this for 1 week - Thermostat i thinks, so on the way to pick up a new one, the needle rose to 90deg then all the way to overheat!! Thermostat replaced, engine now overheats.

4. Engine overheats, No water flow back to expansion tank - i'm hacked off, so sent it to my local garage for new waterpump. Car still there.

5. Found some corrosion on the roof - Took the car this morning to WOLVERHAMPTON Audi. This bit really got to me!! - Walked into show room and asked a guy sat at the service desk who I should speak to regarding Corrosion Warranty, the reply was 'nobody here, you have to go to Listers In Coventry'. I couldn't believe what he was saying. I asked if i purchased a 30K Audi from him and found an issue, i would have to drive all the way to Coventry, 40+ miles away!! He said yes! At this point i pinched myself to see i would wake up! He then asked how old the car was, I said 10 years - he replied 'well you only get a TEN year warranty anyway'. I kindly corrected him in the fact that it was a twelve year warranty and not to grin at me when giving me incorrect information!
I will be trying a different Audi garage next week.

Does anyone know if this is correct - only Listers in Coventry can examine corrosion and paint warranty claims?

Ian.

He's talking twoddle, Audi Solihull did mine.

Oh, and are you holding the reset button to reset everything on the DIS?

im sure vorhees got his done at cov audi. should be fine

The corrosion thing is utter crap, ask to speak to the warrenty person as there should be one for each dealer, they will know the ins and outs of every warrenty. Well they should do!

Coventry Audi did mine, but I purchased my car from them. The reason I think they might have told you to go to Coventry is the Listers Audi Group Bodyshop is at Coventry (not sure if Wolverhampton Audi are part of the same dealer group??), I can however see where you are coming from, 40 miles is a fair trip.

On the plus side Coventry Audi did do a great job on mine, could not tell the roof had been painted at all, I was so concerned as I had heard so many stories about poor repairs at other dealers, mine is Kingfisher Blue which is apparently not an easy colour to match as well.

Cheers

Chris

Go to their bodyshop (Listers) in Quinton Rd, Coventry and ask for John Copeland (Warranty Manager) or call 024 76230 220.

He sorted mine out, and my brothers S3, even though they first refused to do his car, they called back 2 months later and said they would do it now due to Audi changing their stance on the warranty of paintwork due to the many complaints they had received. I too started by going to the dealership, they were next to useless (if polite).

Thanks for the replies, I will be trying Shrewsbury Audi next Monday as i work on the same industrial estate. If i have no luck there i will contact Coventry. Fingers crossed.

As for the reset button, i've held it pressed in for a number of seconds and it doesn't work. I think that there is a minor glitch somewhere, as i was driving along the trip reset it self, by itself, then the scroll button stopped working. Only when i turned the ignition off and back on, the scroll button came back to life. Anyone experienced this before??

Cheers.
Ian.

Last edited:
If you do have to come over this way pm me and I can vagcom it to see if any faults pop up

2. Stereo volume with a mind of it's own.

This is a common problem, and is a manufacturing fault. Only realistic solution is to replace the Head unit. Stafford Audi sell them guaranteed not to exhibit the same problem.

Cheers,

Engine overheats, No water flow back to expansion tank - i'm hacked off, so sent it to my local garage for new waterpump. Car still there

yknwo the small return hose going back to the expansion tank, check that thats not blocked. ive come across thsi in the past and it causes some very odd "cooling" issues because the system cannot bleed

id check that before shelling out for a new water pump, esp if youre taking down your trousers and getting bent over by a garage

yknwo the small return hose going back to the expansion tank, check that thats not blocked. ive come across thsi in the past and it causes some very odd "cooling" issues because the system cannot bleed

id check that before shelling out for a new water pump, esp if youre taking down your trousers and getting bent over by a garage

Yes, blew through the pipe and it was clear. Paying £230 to supply and fit new water pump, aux belt, cam belt and tensioners and coolant re-fill. The car does have a warranty, but as ever with these things, if they pay-up it will be a bonus.

As for the stereo, i will prob fit something like the JVC R501 head unit, seems good value. http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/view_product.php?partno=KDR501

I guess the computer did reach 2000 as i am unable to reset it.

Pick the car up from the garage tomorrow, can't wait!!:yahoo:

Another thing i have found....My car has a Bose system woofer in the back L/H side of the boot, but doesn't seem to be connected. There is a cable mounted on the top of the wheel arch coming in from the front of the car (looks like an aerial type cable) but nothing connected to it, what shoult fit to this??:uhm:

Ta.