Stage 1 or 2?

jeff d

Reaction score
sorry if this has been done a million times but tried a search and couldnt find the answers i been looking for, Im looking at booking a re-map but see people talking about stg 1 and 2, my car is a std 210 bhp model an i really need more go, i,m looking to go revo but want a bit of knoledge befoe going to book, obviously stage 2 will give more go but do i need any additional kit to go with this? as i say car is standard albeit a 007 valve that car had for x-mas, what is this switch unit on stage 2? so many questions, thanks in advance

stage 1 will give you the most benefit...stage 2 mainly required a downpipe (approx £500+) , air filter (£40), 007p (£80) and a front mounted intercooler (£400-£500), exhaust (£500) and maybe couple of other bits n bobs..... basically stage 1 costs £350 for a big power hike...stage 2 will cost a quarter of your cars value to get an extra 10bhp if your lucky.....

stage 1 will give you the most benefit...stage 2 mainly required a downpipe (approx £500+) , air filter (£40), 007p (£80) and a front mounted intercooler (£400-£500), exhaust (£500) and maybe couple of other bits n bobs..... basically stage 1 costs £350 for a big power hike...stage 2 will cost a quarter of your cars value to get an extra 10bhp if your lucky.....

When I spoke to my revo dealer about maybe going to stage 2 they told me the minimum you would need on an S3 is an air filter, recirc valve and a cat back exaust then stage 2 software would cost £50? Obviosly having fmic and downpipe would be more of an advantage but apparently not escential, Thoughts anyone?

Cheers Matt

as said above stage2 costs alot to do because of hardware its definantly quite a difference over stage1 but for the cost its not worth it and your want big turbo power after anyway so go stage1 then save for a big turbo like i should have done, i might go hybrid one day which is an option you can go for after stage2 if you decide that route

Its not the more epensive. Just a full turbo back exhaust is needed over a stage 2 really. Most stage one's come with an air filter and DV anyway, even if they dont they will only cost £150 max.

Im going straight for a stage 2 mainly because I want a full turbo back exhaust, S3 sounds rubbish standard. You can get a full exhaust custom made for £500-600. Revo software for £450 or £50 if you already got stage one software.

I personally don't think the cost is much more than a stage one, which will give you performance gains over a stage one.

I think im in the same boat to be honest (although ive only got a 1.8T sport 150bhp)

ive already gott an 007 DV, K&N induction kit and full custom stainless system including de-cat pipe, alot of other 1.8t owners i know simply said save my money and go for a custom re-map rather than a "off the shelf" stage 1 or 2 "chip/software".

dunno if this is of any help??

I had a custom map on my m3,i know it s a totally different car being normally asperated (spelling??) which is why im prob asking dum questions as this is the 1st turbo car i have tuned,

my car has 102k on it, i love togo gt28 but im thinking things may not hold up, i cant look at rebuild for a while as recently moved and can outlay as got lots going on, im very tempted though and havnt even had a stg 1 map yet lol

revo select plus is a work of art.its amazing, ive got stage 2 revo and the plus allows you to change you boost, fuel and timing.you can set up 3 setting on top of the performance mode already on there.

that sounds amazing, thanks

Last edited:
its costly for the plus but i think it worth every penny.ive got the select for sale as i dont need it any more.the guys are right about stage 2.its alot of money, but if you want the extra bhp and torque go for it.ive yet to have mine on the rollers but its a totally different car, aa i went from standard to stage 2.good job the misses cant see the bank balance

lol, shred em when they come through the door

When I spoke to my revo dealer about maybe going to stage 2 they told me the minimum you would need on an S3 is an air filter, recirc valve and a cat back exaust then stage 2 software would cost £50? Obviosly having fmic and downpipe would be more of an advantage but apparently not escential, Thoughts anyone?

Cheers Matt

to go stage 2 with just the mods your local revo dealer told you is very poor advise imho

first on the list would be fmic, std side mounts will heat soak badly, heat soaking even faster on stage 2

exhaust/downpipe yea, some small gains, and free flowing paneil filter is a nice to have but not "wow" over a clean panel filter.

didnt think the downpipe was worth touching on these Bill? (according to Glen)

Isn't this because the restriction is in the manifold? A JBS manifold coupled with the DP would surely help alot with spool up, and top end?

apparently the restriction is the turbo manifold NOT the exhaust from what ive read