Drain hole blocking - near battery

linners

Reaction score
My mechanic has just given me the heads up on a potential issue with a drain hole blocking up under the scuttle panel near where the battery lives. I was told to have a look when I was replacing my battery recently. I didn't take any pics but I'll do my best to explain. To the left of the battery compartment (looking at the engine bay from the front of the car), there is a drain hole. This can get clogged up with leaves and other gunk. That doesn't leave anywhere for the water to go. He found his battery nearly submerged!!! (The water would have spilled over into the engine bay before actually submerging the battery but water and power generally don't mix :jump:

The mod? Directly under the battery, Audi in their infinite wisdom, have plugged up an oblong shaped hole that would allow any water to drain away with a rubber "plug" that you can remove with no adverse effect

All of these drain plugs shaped like a tear drop under the battery should be removed, if your car comes into us with this causing a problem we knock it out. Also there is a campaign that is flagged up if relevant when we put the vin into elsapro. Had one i mot'd that didnt come up on vin but was full of water so just knocked it out. Poor design of water drain that works well untill crap intervenes.

You dont need too pull the battery just remove the expansion bottle and you can put your hand down under the bulkhead and pull the drain plug out from there ,
ive done loads of them like this .

isn't there another one on the other side which also can get blocked?

Yes but the one under the battery will sort your drainage problems out its pretty central and at the lowest point ,
all the ones ive done are bone dry with no issues .

i unblocked mine. That was under the brake servo. Just to the left of the battery.

there is a recall from audi to have new vents fitted in the plenum chamber if you have a b6, this a free service so call your dealer and ask if yours is elligable:idea: - mine was

We had this issue but rather the water spilling into the engine bay it found a loose bung into the cabin of the car and absorbed into the electrical ecu under the passenger seat and caused all sorts of electrical issues.

It is so important to keep checking this especially with the weather we are having,

I am going to look for the bung under the battery tray at the weekend, thanks for the info

Last edited:
We had this issue but rather the water spilling into the engine bay it found a loose bung into the cabin of the car and absorbed into the electrical ecu under the passenger seat and caused all sorts of electrical issues.

It is so important to keep checking this especially with the weather we are having,

I am going to look for the bung under the battery tray at the weekend, thanks for the info
Theres a small bung under that ecu too ,
if you take the plastic underneath off you can put a small hole in the bung and prevent that ecu getting attacked its a good prevention just in case .

there is a recall from audi to have new vents fitted in the plenum chamber if you have a b6, this a free service so call your dealer and ask if yours is elligable:idea: - mine was

nothing new to be fitted just the crap one to be pulled out.