Remap Devastation :(

Explain for us noobs what avs is?

Having had the problems (and inspected the components) from poor deisgned oil return pipework/pickup filters etc IMO the deisgn needs work. Yes clean oil will help but what i'm saying is how would the oil be clean if you are using Long service schedules? Mine was kept on these which is what caused the problems initially, leading to a 1k top end rebuild.

Even Audi have said it's a common fault, draw from that your own conclusions but mine tell me to use 12 month servicing. :)

G

AVS is audi veriable servicing

its an S4 killer too. that why so many S4s end up wanting new ko3 turbos when in reality we know ko3 turbos last forever, apart from when you keep the oil in for 20k miles

why do they do it? to keep the cost of initial purchase down to new buyers. where is the logic of buying a £47k car and then not being able to afford servicing it properly?

Explain for us noobs what avs is?

Having had the problems (and inspected the components) from poor deisgned oil return pipework/pickup filters etc IMO the deisgn needs work. Yes clean oil will help but what i'm saying is how would the oil be clean if you are using Long service schedules? Mine was kept on these which is what caused the problems initially, leading to a 1k top end rebuild.

Even Audi have said it's a common fault, draw from that your own conclusions but mine tell me to use 12 month servicing. :)

G

AVS is the long service intervals..
its the problem

They changed NOTHING to accomodate the "me too sales BS" on long life oils and extended service intervals
That was the problem, which caused the other issues..
I mean for a modern engine to suffer sludging is shocking

Oil was never up to the job the politics of long life servicing which they used to sell cars to fleet operators
now these cars are in private hands, the truth of the daft decision is for the subsequent owners to reap the costs incurred. Worst case its new engine its that bad

There is nothing wrong with the oil system,... you just have to change the damed oil every 10k and use quality oils.. it will remain perfectly clean and problem free in that respect.

AVS is audi veriable servicing

its an S4 killer too. that why so many S4s end up wanting new ko3 turbos when in reality we know ko3 turbos last forever, apart from when you keep the oil in for 20k miles

why do they do it? to keep the cost of initial purchase down to new buyers. where is the logic of buying a £47k car and then not being able to afford servicing it properly?

Its a car killer.. no matter what model..
To the fleet operators is a ££ saving, and in the 2-3 years they may keep them, to them its a real saving.. as chances are its not sludged up quite enough at that point.

then us punters buy the cars and its all luck of the draw and our pockets which suffer

alright guys. Just back from the garage and the guy has checked my cams and a few other things.

He says everything looks perfect, all my belts, chains and tensioners. He says that its cylinder 3 thats causing the problems and he cant tell what it is until the heads off.

He thinks that something got into it and is either stuck or caused a bit of damage, he's hoping!

He says that its ideling fine and its not ticking over abnormally but theres obviously a problem as theres a loud ticking.

I guess I'll find out whats happened through the week at some point :(

I'll keep you all up to date.

Jerry (mechanic) phoned me today to give me an update! hes found the problem but has yet to find the cause and/if there is any damage.

Basically the piston in cylinder 3 aint going either all the way down or all the way up. He's started to take the sump off and I've to expect a call tomorrow morning at some point.

Still not getting to excited yet in case she lets me down :ermm:

Jerry (mechanic) phoned me today to give me an update! hes found the problem but has yet to find the cause and/if there is any damage.

Basically the piston in cylinder 3 aint going either all the way down or all the way up. He's started to take the sump off and I've to expect a call tomorrow morning at some point.

Still not getting to excited yet in case she lets me down :ermm:

I'd be looking for a new mechanic, how on earth can the #3 piston not be going "all the way up or all the way down" unless the con-rod has snapped, in which case the car would probably not run at all. Ask the "mechanic" how he comes to this diagnosis and how the laws of physics don't seem to apply to your car. Something is clearly wrong with your engine, but a piston is connected to the crankshaft and it can't do anything other than move up and down with each revolution unless the con-rod is broken.

I'd be looking for a new mechanic, how on earth can the #3 piston not be going "all the way up or all the way down" unless the con-rod has snapped, in which case the car would probably not run at all. Ask the "mechanic" how he comes to this diagnosis and how the laws of physics don't seem to apply to your car. Something is clearly wrong with your engine, but a piston is connected to the crankshaft and it can't do anything other than move up and down with each revolution unless the con-rod is broken.

I agree with you

bent rod perhaps?

Never seen it on a 20vt, but a mate with a 2.0T volvo engine has his mapped and the day after it was mapped it banana'd 3 of it's rods. The engine still ran and made good power, but was lumpy as **** and made a stupidly loud ticking, which turned out to be a con rod making contact with the block where it was bent so badly.

When he stripped it down 3 of the rods were banana shaped!

anything is possible, maybe not likely, but definatley not impossible!!

just wait for them to get back to you mate, im sure he'll find whatever the cause is soon

fingers crossed it dont cost you an arm and a leg dude

I feel for you dude! I hope its not too expensive! I've just had problems with 2 of my cars and tis a right pain, especially before valentines day where my bank account is empty! With regards to what the mechanic said is abit mmmm. But lets just hope he clarifies things tomorrow (or later on today) :blink:

bent rod.. best guess

bent rod.. best guess

It could be, but the origional poster said car was running fine before remap, which aparrently went smoothly, and it was only when they went to drive out onto the main road that they heard a "pop" and the thing was ticking badly, I dont profess to be any kind of an expert but would have thought that to bend a con-rod you would either need to be flogging the absolute nuts off the thing or have con-rods made of butter. It will be interesting to see what does transpire to be the cause.

Foreign object or hydro lock would bend a rod even at idle. Not suggesting water ingress here, but an ingested component or broken plug is possible.

Well turns out wit was a bent con rod.

Guy from the garage just phoned me there, hes found a bent con rod and the piston has cracked.

He says while the cars apart I am better getting all the work that I need done just now. Water pump, Timing belt ect.

My problem is that Audi wont sell just 1 con rod, they only sell a set of 4. And I'm not paying the extra for another 3 that I dont need.

I need a new ring for the piston in cylinder 2 aswell as he thinks that will bring the pressure in cylinder 2 back up to normal.

Total price costing £1700. WOOHOO FOR ME!!!! only went in for a flippin remap!

Major ****. Do you know exactly what broke the piston and rod? Was it a foreign object? If it went through the engine you'll need to check the turbine on the turbo for damage.

Buy yourself a set of drop in uprated con rods from Intergrated Engineering or similar. You can get rods that fit the stock piston gudeon pin size. They'll probably cost you less that a set from Audi. Email Badger5 on this forum for prices. You won't have to worry about limiting the torque from the remap with stronger rods and if the engine is in bits it makes sense to fit them.

If it's got broken rings and a cracked piston is not going to need a rebore too... at least a hone i would have thought ..... your talking a full rebuild here really if you intend to keep the car

if he's fitting new rods, then £290 of IE rods will be peace of mind..
there's probably folk out there who have had forged pistons fitted who dont need their olduns.. Backdraft for example should have some from a LCR build they're doing.
just a thought

Its funny that as soon as you go to them this happens? Cant you argue that its a coincidence that it happens as he drives it after a custom code remap and that its partially their fault? Compromise with the pricce and try to reduce it? Its alot of money and as you said, you only went for a remap? But its an excuse to get some uprated rods! lol

he wouldnt have a leg to stand on...nature of the beast and unfair to blame the tuner as the map is tested on 100's of cars without issue

he wouldnt have a leg to stand on...nature of the beast and unfair to blame the tuner as the map is tested on 100's of cars without issue

Totally agree, it's all too easy to blame tuners in this scenario, but reading the original post, you have to say the car is at fault to begin with, but as with some things in life, you never know 100% what is to blame.

what an absolute bummer mate, really gutted for you!

forged rods make perfect sense mate and as someone said more than likely cheaper than oem audi ones

there is a slight bright side to this, its a great opportunity to replace/upgrade things, water pump, oil pump, rods, maybe bigger turbo? although i guess its costing you enough already!!

you'll love it even more when its rebuilt and mapped, just the waiting will more than likely kill you :)

I know I would be a total **** if I had the cheek to try and blame else what, but these things happen to cars and it's just my sod luck.

Well I'm thinking about bits and bobs now that its apart, would really like to get as much uprated things as I can without going over the OEM prices if its possible.

Might aswell make the most of the situation, even though I'm absolutly skint now :(

I'm even thinkin of selling it once it's all fixed, I have the worst luck with cars and its costing me a fortune that I don't have right now. Just think its going to be one of those cars that doesnt like to work :sign_unfair:

if he's fitting new rods, then £290 of IE rods will be peace of mind..
there's probably folk out there who have had forged pistons fitted who dont need their olduns.. Backdraft for example should have some from a LCR build they're doing.
just a thought

What or who is Backdraft badger? and also what exact rods is it from Ieng.com ?

ahhhh ive had some horrid luck with motors mate, i think everyone does at some point, but it can only get better

if i were you i wouldnt sell it after its fixed for two reasons, first you wouldnt get all your money back, second once fixed at least you know the engine side of things shouldnt give you any more hassle, if you sold it and bought something else you could have even more problems!

with regards to the rods i think these may be what you are looking for, 19mm gudgeon pin:
http://www.intengineering.com/VW/Rods/Integrated-Engineering-p3333559.html

im sure someone will confirm/correct me if wrong

oh also, backdraft motorsport:
http://www.backdraftmotorsport.com/

Last edited:
I've got a set of standard pistons for sale, all have been hit by my valves but I had them inspected at an engineering company after I had bought my new ones and they said that they were fine to be refitted (by which time my new ones were in). If you need a set you can have with all rings and pins for £100 delivered.

I know I would be a total **** if I had the cheek to try and blame else what, but these things happen to cars and it's just my sod luck.

Well I'm thinking about bits and bobs now that its apart, would really like to get as much uprated things as I can without going over the OEM prices if its possible.

Might aswell make the most of the situation, even though I'm absolutly skint now :(

I'm even thinkin of selling it once it's all fixed, I have the worst luck with cars and its costing me a fortune that I don't have right now. Just think its going to be one of those cars that doesnt like to work :sign_unfair:
i know you must be hurting right now this sort of thing never comes at a good time.but if you are going to spend your hard earned dosh on a rebuild and sort the cambelt and waterpump.you should if at all financially possibe stick with this car.why spend all that cash getting the car properly sorted for somebody else to benefit.you might buy another car and have similar problems.if you have a credit card just cane the plastic hurts a little less that way.good luck with it anyway

yup and dont always discount OEM...for some things they are proven to be cheaper