Tyre nightmare

gynads

Reaction score
Bought my 07 plate S3 from Lincoln Audi 3 months ago, paid for the wheel and tyre insurance. As the tyres were all on the wear indicators i asked if they would replace with new. They declined. The PDI sheet says they had 3,3,4,4 mm of tread which i think was a bit generous.

My car was kleft at Humberside Airport for 2 weeks whilst i was offshore, i flew back Wednesday evening, drove home and parked the car up. As my girlfriend was leaving the house for work she noticed my nearside rear tyre was flat. I got up and tried to inflate the tyre , it was leaking from the inner tyre wall. I phoned the insurance company who deals with me wheel and tyre cover, who asked for payment (to be given back after claim). They arranged for someone to come Friday......... In the mean time i did a bit of research and discovered on here that all four are required to be changed as they need to be within 40% . I phoned Lincoln Audi who confirmed this. I then phoned the claims dept, who informed me they would only pay out for the damaged tyre. I phoned the dealership back and asked what i was to do, and was told " oh we only advise to change, you should be ok just changing the one!!" so there we have it i now have one new tyre fitted!

Any help and advice would be greatly recieved

I think the moral to the story is wheel and tyre insurance is worthless on a Quattro A3/S3 then.

If the other tyres are going to need replacing soon - 3mm might be within the legal limit, but will compromise the grip, then I'd replace them now - even if it means shelling some cash out - to match the new one.

Think thats about the long and short of it Pete, unless your lucky enough to damage all four!