Torn between Goodyear GSD's and Pirelli Rosso's

1animal1

The Clar!! it mouves!!!
Reaction score
Just about to order two for the fronts, i currently have Rosso's, two of which will remain on the back due to 4-5mill of tread left...... i love the GSD's and hear the wear rate isnt as bad as the Rosso's with better grip...anyone any first hand comparison between these two?

Me too. I eventually went for the GYs, they are being fitted on Friday. Will let you know my initial impressions.

cheers fella, im ordering today as trying to get oil change, tyres and alignment sorted for sat morning....at three different garages...its like juggling :)

Dude, go for the GSD3s, I have them on at the mo, and I cant fault them, im sure I mentioned it in another thread, but they seem to get grippier and grippier, the more use they have!!

what are the goodyears like for rim protection, as good a driver as i am, i seem to keep notching the chuffin things :)

Have you considered the Eagle F1 Asymmetric's?? I had these fitted in the past and rate them highly, I have also had GSD3's in the past, but was more impressed the asymmetrics, particularly in the wet. I am now using Michelin PS2, which are fantastic but not cheap, the asymmetric's would def be my second choice.

Chris

thanks Chris, i had considered them but i wanted to stick with the Rosso's ideally (just an afterthought the GSD's), although my local garage are able to do a deal on the asymetrics cheaper than the Rosso's which assumes theres more margin..... just didnt know if i was missing out....was ideally after someone who'd tried both

I have had both and currently have Asymetrics on now. The Goodyears are a better tyre. Better grip, feedback and dont slip away as quickly when you are reaching there limit. However the Goodyears have been quite bad for wear i think, havent got much tread left after 6000 miles but that maybe my driving lol.

They are pretty good. They dont come out so far they look weird but just enough to protect the alloy

Tim are you sure you have the right type of rubber for your rim protection issues????

Back on topic, they have a decent rim protector on the GSD3s :)

Rim protection isnt that great on the asymetrics. I properly curbed one wheel slowly pulling into a tight space a while ago.

I have Eagle F1 GSD3's on and I would recommend them too. I just replaced all four with the same again. I thought they were excellent in the dry really grippy and in the wet they were great too. Also I have the standard 17" Avus alloys on and find that the tyre sits proud enough of the rim to give you some decent protection ( still managed to kerb one though - was going pretty fast tho... :crying:)

cheers chaps..... the Pirelli's do have a lip on but every now and again i park near work where there are really weird curbs.... its annoying the crap outta me cos before this ive never been a prolific 'kurber'....maybe cos ive never had 18's :)

what do the goodyears wear like? (bit more feedback required :) )

Well I have had them for a few months now and cant really notice much wear on them and i do a fair few miles.

Yea yea, i know!!!

But at least I dont look like one!!!

Id like to insert a 'nah na na nah nah' smiley here, but i cant!!!

Ive had my Asymetrics fitted since around june which is about 5k miles and still plenty of tread. Mostly sedate driving with a few spirited drives.

I have the Eagle F1 GS-D3; fantastic grip in the wet or dry. The wear rate seems ok, and the rears have worn about half as much as the fronts.

However, when it snows you'll be better off on foot; they're terrible. The slightest incline will defeat them.

thanks DAve..... i also had a chat with the chaps at the tyre centre who suggested that they werent quite as good in the wet as the pirelli's.... ive ended up with the pirellis just to keep the same tread pattern on all 4....will consider GSD's when i go replace all 4 next time...... the rears are 2/3rds worn so should wear evenly now

cheers for all the help chaps :)

Just a thought... with the recent weather here, how were people's GS-D3's in the snow? Mine seemed really bad. I'm only FWD though, not quattro. I couldnt get any grip at all, had a bit of an accident... courtesy car (golf) had cheapo's on and had loads more grip.

I haven't driven with the Pirellis, but can see that the tread pattern is very different to the Goodyears so would agree that you're better off sticking with the same ones as the rears.

the pirellis were suprisingly good in the snow from my experience, nothing to compare against though.....they got me on a steep hill outside work for 2weeks when nobody else could :) (and off of it ;) )